[3830] CQ160 CW G5Q(@G3SVL) Single Op Assisted QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW G5Q(@G3SVL) Single Op Assisted QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 12:27:19 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: G5Q
Operator(s): CDXC
Station: G3SVL

Class: Single Op Assisted QRP
QTH: East Sussex
Operating Time (hrs): 12.5

Total:  QSOs = 338  State/Prov = 9  Countries = 54  Total Score = 110,124

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

I was not intending to do a serious effort this year due to my now S7 - S9 noise
level - but you know how 160m drags you in once you get started!

I put my quarter wave inverted L up on Saturday afternoon - 50ft up with the end
at 30ft. I didn't lay out any extra radials, which I do if I'm serious about an
entry. The only rx antenna was a Wellbrook Loop - and that suffered almost the
same noise level.

I had decided that using full legal, or even 100W would make me a first class
alligator so decided QRP would give me some challenge and maybe fun.

I started Saturday evening gingerly calling loud Europeans and although I'd not
class myself as a seasoned QRP'er I do know that you don't expect to bust
pile-ups or hold a run frequency with 5 watts (5 W at the rig - goodness knows
what was actually radiated with 80m of feeder and an SWR of 2:1 at the top of
the operating band).

I'd intended to stop around 02:00 but I was closing on the QRP record for G and
kept going. At 02:19 W2GD came back to my call - and that was the fun. Most
other W's couldn't hear me - but a few did, as did NP2P. I took two hours sleep
between 04:15 and 06:15 which might have been a mistake as NA stations were down
in the noise when I returned. I didn't see any grey line boost either.

I managed a short run on Sunday evening (thank you RBN) but had to move every
few QSOs as someone would send QRL ... CQ, CQ on top of me each time. I can't
blame them, they couldn't hear me.

Thanks to all those with good ears.

Chris, G3SVL / G5Q