[3830] CQ160 CW W7QM(W6PH) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W7QM(W6PH) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 18:18:59 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: W7QM
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: N6WIN/7

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Wickenburg AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 29.1

Total:  QSOs = 1067  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 52  Total Score = 365,904

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Eastside Contest Group W7QM Expedition to Arizona.

Station: K3 Acom 2000  WinTest 4.29
Antennas: 135 foot wire vertical with 22 radials. Two 500 ft beverages to EU and
JA

Tim N6WIN is an old friend of mine.  I had been talking about coming down to see
his super station and two days before the contest he asked if I would like to do
the CQ 160.  I got a pass from my wife (55 years so far) and told him yes.  The
drive is 490 miles and it is all desert interstate.  I drove down from the
Eastern Sierra on Thursday and did it in 7 hours.

Thursday night we went out for Mexican food and came back to his place and drank
beers until 2330 talking about nothing in particular.

Friday afternoon we set up the station for a legacy single op and Tim headed
back to California.  I was by myself.  The station worked flawlessly.  It is in
an unheated building without insulation.  Outside temperature was around 6C but
the Acom and a small electric heater kept the shack at 12C or so.

I have operated 160 from both my California QTH and my NH QTH.  I never hear
Europeans at my California QTH.  It was amazing to me to hear the Europeans
although much weaker than W1.  Their signals were very weak on Friday night but
stronger on Saturday night and easier to work.  Probably a combination of
conditions and less QRM in Europe.  OK7K and MX5A were standout signals from
Europe.

Tim did an analysis and said I worked 58 Europeans and 52 Asians.  In North
America I missed all the Maritimes (except VO2AC who I heard often).  Nebraska
was my last state. The long distance DX seemed to peak at my sunset and the
target sunrise.

I am a member of the Eastside Contest Group.  I like to use a call sign that
reflects the geographical area and the trustee (W6SX) encouraged me to use
W7QM.

The location is very quiet.  I switched back and forth to the beverages for
receive but the vertical was always as good or better than the beverages.  There
were at least five multipliers that I got prefixes but couldn't get the rest of
the calls.  We will work on the receive side in the future.  The station is in
progress at this time.

A big thanks to Tim for his hospitality.  I pulled the plug at 0730 Sunday
morning and took a four hour nap before driving back to my Lone Pine CA QTH.

In reflection I can't think of a thing I would do differently.  The contest was
fun and that is the bottom line.

VP9/W6PH in the ARRL CW.  73, Kurt W6PH