[3830] CQ160 CW EI0R Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, turnbull@net1.ie
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW EI0R Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 21:32:37 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: EI0R
Operator(s): EI2KC EI3KE EI6JK EI2CN
Station: EI0R

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Ireland
Operating Time (hrs): 36.5

Total:  QSOs = 1676  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 87  Total Score = 1,447,448

Club:

Comments:

Our main striker, Declan EI6FR could not make it this time as he was ill so the
others in our group stepped up and took additional hours.    This is the best
ever for EI0R and we might be in for taking the EI multi-op record so this makes
us happy.  With EI0R a FOC and veteran of many DXpeditions we would have done
better still but life is good.

Conditions seemed to be better than last year but can of course be better still.
  We all hope.

The four of us all had accommodation of our own at the station.   We ate well
and did not suffer to much discomfort.   No sleeping in cars during winter -
some guys are pretty rugged.    At 75 years, I say no thanks.   Thank you good
wife, Anne.

A special thanks to Mark who on an hours notice left from work to drive across
county to join us on Friday night rather than Saturday night.     It was really
good that Anthony EI2KC worked JA twice on Sunday night - this is an easy enough
QSO normally but in a contest going across all of Europe and Asia is a pretty
rough reach.   Anthony is a particularly good CW man and DX hound.   Being a
musician helps with Morse.    I appreciate what the USA west coast suffers in
trying to work Europe.

Seamus EI3KE and Mark kept everything going through Friday and Saturday nights
spelling each other every 30 minutes and pushing to do what ever was possible.

It was nice to work Jim, K5RX on Saturday morning.  Jim had a booming signal so
I do not believe he was working QRP this time.

Our group at EI0R congratulate EI5DI, Paul for a fantastic job in HP
non-assisted category.  Paul worked over 1300 Qs and has for certain set a new
EI record.   Paul also uses a Hi-Z 8 circle RX antenna though not the model
designed for TB only.    Mark, EI6JK commented that the 160M Hi-Z 8 circle makes
 TB sound like 40M.   If you are considering a new RX antenna this one deserves
a look.   I find the 160M model is better by a good margin on TB than the
40/80/160 model.

Equipment:
K3 new synth board, P3, large monitor
KPA 1500 at 1500W allowed for contesting in EI
Micro Keyer II
Wintest

Inverted L 30M vertical over 125 plus ground radials

Hi-Z 160M 200 foot diameter 8 circle for RX on TB only