[3830] MnQP WB8WKQ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, seismadude2@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] MnQP WB8WKQ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2020 01:35:11 +0000
                    Minnesota QSO Party - 2020

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:     31        15
   40:     42        38
   20:      9         7
   15:
   10:
-------------------------
Total:     82        60  Mults = 52  Total Score = 14,768

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Well, this was my first "shot" at the MN QP.  I exclusively run the
British Columbia QSO party on this weekend, but since the new "QP
Challenge" has been instituted, I decided I'd better play in this one,
since it's the "main" QP of the weekend (from a numbers standpoint).
It was very fun.  A "wise man" once told me, to be competitive in a
QP, you need to be far away enough from the state so that you can utilize at
least the three major bands (20, 40 and 80).  Well, I'm definitely too close to
MN to use 20M.  But, since the BC QP was going on, I decided to switch over to
20M and see if I could work some of my BC pals.  Low and behold MN was coming in
on 20M just fine.  Short skip long enough for me to make 16 Q's on a band I
never thought I'd get a single Q on.  So that was really a surprise and fun.  My
game plan was to start on 80M in the morning, until propagation went out, then
switch to 40M till about evening time.  This plan worked pretty well, as I made
a quick 15-20 Q's on 80M in the first hour.   Things eventually slowed down on
40M, allowing me to get a "beauty sleep nap" in.   All in all a very
fun contest.  My BCQP score will suffer, but the increase in action made it all
worth it.  Thanks to all the mobiles and everyone for the Q's.