[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF N6GP/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 01:03:25 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  90     37  Total Score = 4,329

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

I attempted to drive for multipliers, but only had marginal results
accomplishing this.  Started at DM13 on Signal Pk in Newport Beach and worked a
lot of locals.
Went to DM03 Signal Hill and worked a bunch more, including a brief opening on 6
for 2 QSOs with Texas.  Drove up over the Grapevine, and activated DM04 for the
Central Valley from the Grapevine Rd exit starting at about 7PM (same exit where
Greyhound bus shooting ended up recently).  Had marginal results, because I
started too late.  No DM06 on.  Worked WA6OSX in CM98 on 6 and 2.  K6MYC in
DM07.  Thankfully N6NB/R stopped in DM05 to give me all 4 bands.  The fog in the
Valley really didn't affect propagation.
Got home late about 11:30.  Hit the road at 9AM for Quartzite.  Stopped at
Blythe to try out condix.  Then drove thru Quartzite to Guadelupe Peak, that was
recommended by an AZ rover.  The road was VERY treacherous, and I barely had
clearance in my van to clear the concrete gutters in the road.  I stopped at the

first turnout, and worked N6QQ back home on FT8.  Barely made it to N7RK in
DM33. Headed off the hill by sundown, then over to Quartzite. Good news is I
worked all 4 mults for DM23 and DM24 out there. I worked about 8 Quartzfest
stations on 2, 220 and 440 FM.  I visited their campsite later, and it was
amazing.
15 QSOs on FT8, and 75 on SSB or FM.
Next year I need to start out by staying Friday overnight in either Kettleman
City, or Bakersfield.  Start contest in Central Valley.  Work my way back down
to the 4 L.A. grids and back home in good time.   Then I need to go to Quartzite
area, and go a little beyond Quartzite to work into the Phoenix area.

73,
Tim N6GP/R