[3830] ARRLDX CW VE9AA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE9AA SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 00:32:01 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 22:01
Radios: SO2R

  160:  105    42
   80:  355    72
   40:  638    76
   20:  506    76
   15:  114    57
   10:    8     7
-------------------
Total: 1726   330  Total Score = 1,702,740

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Well, after many  relatively good & uneventful contests, Mr. Murphy decided
to visit me multiple times this w/e. Argghh ! ;-D

99.9% of participants were truly great to work with.  One, F6BEE was not.  I was
running a nice strong, string of EU's on 14MHz and he fires up w/i 60-70Hz of my
QRG w/o even a QRL and begins to run New England.  He's loud,(5NN+) EU's are
loud and I presume I am relatively loud there.  I protested with "QRL QRL
PSE QSY VE9AA VE9AA QRL" multiple times, but I was no match for him.

Sure we rub shoulders all w/e, all of us do, but he was inside my 250Hz CW
narrow filter for Gosh sake. I get squeezing in, but this was not sportsmanlike
behaviour.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

Onto more pleasant things.  Worked EA7X back to back (SO2R) on 15m/20m.  That's
only happened to me once before, having back-to-back SO2R Q's, in a CWT I think.
 Kinda cool.  Speaking of Spanish stns, a certain EA7 duped me quite a number of
times on 20m inside of 1 hour. (I lost track...I think 6 or 7 times).  Was
really weird.  Maybe a logging program error or bad packet spots.  I can't tell.
 I went unassisted, so will have to do some research.
-also heard lots of the new 2x1 EA calls. Kinda cool as well.

Maybe Canada will get them someday.

I was gonna do this one 80m single band and spent the first 4 opening hours
running SO1R unassisted 80m with great results. (about 298 Q's) and then (boom)
there were no more to work.  I scanned the band every 55-60mins and there were
literally no new stns that I heard, nor more than 1 caller every few minutes
orso, the well ran dry so I tossed in the towel and went to bed.  I usually
don't give up quite so easy, but I am a rate junkie, so a '20 or 30hr' does not
interest me in a big contest.  I am not a WRTC hopeful (don't get me started-hi)
so I slept in well past sunrise.

20m seemed pretty good around 9am local, so after a strong coffee I started a
SOAB (un) HP entry...having missed 8.5 hrs of the contest while I slept. ( I
don't look any prettier in the mirror however)

Couldn't find much on 15m and 10m was stone cold dead on Sat.  Spent most of the
day on 20m and scanned 15m on the 2nd radio all day for 65 Q's

Ran some 40m about 3-4hrs before SS and then the wife arrived home with steak,
mushrooms, onions and cold Heinekens.  Oh boy. QRT ! Chef Mike needs to work
:-D

Chowed down, watched some TV--
Got back on a bit before midnight Sat. with a vy full belly and sleepy head and
scoured 40m for mults and hit 160m too. Top Band was in fair shape. Not the
best, but worked about 95 Q's in around an hour.

Went to bed.  Almost slept away the 2nd sunrise/greyline of the weekend too.
Started too late for 160m, but snagged 2 or 3 mults on 80m before the sun was
too high.  Hit 40m and a dozen more mults.

15m showed a wee bit of life on Sunday and I squeaked 8 Q's out of a very wimpy
10m, giving me only 3 x 6-banders...PJ4A, 8P5A and VP9I....lots of 5 banders and
a host of 4 banders.

I only have good things to say about activity levels and the amount of
DXpeditions for ARRL DX CW-wow... Takes $$ and commitment - thanks guys !
 One highlight was JT1CO calling me.  Worked some rare VK and ZL mid to late
afternoon on 40m beaming EU...that rarely happens.

At noon on Sunday, my 20m 4-square started having an intermittent and any more
than about 50w sends the SWR sky high.  I snowshoed out to the array, but a lot
of it is under snow and any connections I checked were good.  Maybe the RTTY
test last w/e was just too much for a relay or PL-259?  Spring will see a
repair.  For now I'll make do with something else.

VR2XAN calls in on day 2 when I am running EU on 40m  He hung right in there.
Thanks !  A rare one for me.  Managed a few JA's on 20m running 450w and the
ZS6BKW on the 2nd radio, as 4-square on primary radio is belly-up...sigh

I've probably forgotten something...oh! Just remembered; got many 'hi Mike' or
'tnx for NB Mike' from the reg's...P44W, KP2M, etc.  I appreciated that.

I heard a few other VE9's QRV this w/e, but most were p/t or single band I
think.

the best 60 minute rate was 166/hr from 1924 to 2024
the best 30 minute rate was 182/hr from 1158 to 1227
the best 10 minute rate was 210/hr from 1157 to 1206
1200z 5.0 per minute (1 minute(s) 300 per hour

There were 123 bandchanges and 50 (2.9%) probable 2nd radio QSOs. (this # seems
low as most of my 15m Q's were on the 2nd radio)

73 es CU (all of a sudden) in the next one.

dit dit
Mike VE9AA in New Brunswick, Canada
 2 X Icom IC7410 and an assortment of wiggly wires;
10m - 2-el @ 24 feet - or the 160m antenna
15m - 5-el wire SVDA
20m - Wire 4-Sq<--now dead
40m - Wire 4-Sq
80m - Wire 4-Sq
160m - Wire Inverted L (more like an inverted J)
When operating SO2R,a ZS6BKW @ 35feet w/15m add-on,only for radio 2