[3830] ARRLDX CW VP5K M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ac0w@charter.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VP5K M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 16:08:41 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VP5K
Operator(s): K0PC AC0W
Station: VP5K

Class: M/S HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  512    55
   80:  960    58
   40: 1350    60
   20: 1598    60
   15:  736    58
   10:  192    28
-------------------
Total: 5348   319  Total Score = 5,115,165

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

Returned to Harbour Rock for another operation. Jim continues to make
improvements that aid setup and tear down. This time we had 10 - 80 meters on
the air within 3 hours of arrival. 160 needed some extra work this time that we
had to finish the next day. Should be able to get 160 within the 3 hours next
time so everything will be on the air the first night. No real technical issues
this time.

Going into the contest low bands were fantastic with QSO into JA and EU. This
carried into Friday night and Saturday morning. However Saturday the winds of
change picked up making early Sunday morning a struggle on the low bands.
Calling it the graveyard shift was appropriate as rates were extremely slow.

Saturday was mainly 20 meters as we didn't see much 15 meter activity or any 10
meter activity here. I had a short attempt on 15 that netted about 25 Q's and
several needed mults to keep us on track.

As we progressed through the contest we were tracking our results compared to
2018 and 2019. Until Saturday night we were right in between the two with a
higher Q count but lower mults. Late Saturday night the low bands dropped out on
us resulting in our score falling behind the past two years results.

Sunday morning came where I ran on 20 for a while. Rates slowed so I moved to 15
to work a few more mults via spots. The band still sounded dead to USA as I was
mainly hearing EU with a few US. As I was calling a mult I was trying to work
suddenly people were trying to work me. So I moved up the band a little to call
CQ. Talk about bedlam and mayhem that hit me with the wall of CW (suppose we
could make our own commercial with mayhem). Last 10 rates approached 300.

This gave us a great boost and now were tracking on par with our previous best
score from this QTH. When things slowed on 15 Pat move to 10 managing to
increase our mult count and boosting our score ahead of the previous two years
results.

Now the last 6 hours was mainly to keep the rate up and get Q's in the log. We
did fairly well until late in the contest as 20 started to close but 40 wasn't
quite open to the US from here. However, we still managed one of the best QSO
counts from Provo in the last 8 years for M/S. Just needed more mults on 10 to
get the score where we needed it.

Overall conditions good for this part of the solar cycle so Pat and I are
pleased with the results. We finished with our best score from this QTH and one
of the best from the past 8 years in M/S.

Thanks for all the contacts and patience at times with the large pile-ups. Also
thanks to Jim, K4QPL for the station.

73
Bill VP5/AC0W

Pat VP5/K0PC