[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3VN SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3vn.fn25@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE3VN SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 18:18:45 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 39.5

  160:  232    62
   80:  401    72
   40:  638    81
   20: 1082    95
   15:  154    61
   10:    3     1
-------------------
Total: 2510   372  Total Score = 2,798,928

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I took a very relaxed approach to this one. Having to choose between SO2R and HP
I opted for the latter (I cannot do HP SO2 yet). My planning was so lax that
sunset Friday saw me cold and bloody from hacking a trail through the hawthorns
for a new Beverage. Many of those thorns are as long as fingers so it's like
being attacked by an army of Lilliputians: it hurts but no real damage is done.

For a change everything worked. Ice storm damage to the 80m vertical yagi was
repaired, the coax to the 40 meter yagi redone and the toasted amp filter caps
replaced. I even had one new antenna up. Thanks to VE3DQN and VE3KAE for
slogging through the snow drifts and cold to help me put up the lower yagis of
my 15m and 20m stacks. I don't who was more miserable, them working the tram and
ropes or me at 100' with my fingers going numb from rope work and attaching
clamps and nuts. But what else is there to do in a VE3 January? Well, that or
follow my fellow CCO members to the Caribbean.

Of note were the surprisingly good openings to east Asia on 80, 40 and 20.
Saturday evening 160 was filled with loud Europeans. I seemed to have a pipeline
to VK7 on 40 long path Saturday afternoon. All in all it was good fun. I
especially enjoyed all the calls from distant QRPers, which I did myself for a
few years in this and other DX contests. My only disappointments were catching
the very end of the brief 10m opening Sunday and not always making the correct
decision about when to interrupt runs to do a multiplier sweep.

By next contest season I should have a couple more db on 160 and 80 and lots
more on 40, 20 and 15. That and two complete high power operating positions.