[3830] ARRLDX CW V3T M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, robert.k5pi@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW V3T M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 00:03:19 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: V3T
Operator(s): WC0W K5PI VE7KW WW0G NM0C AD0KH WC0T
Station: V3T

Class: M/S LP
QTH: San Ignacio, Belize
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  258    49
   80:  810    60
   40: 1262    60
   20: 1422    60
   15:  859    57
   10:   47    11
-------------------
Total: 4658   297  Total Score = 4,146,714

Club:

Comments:

The V3T team operated once again from Cahal Pech resort in San Ignacio, Belize
near the Guatemalan border.  Thanks to the Silva family and hotel staff for all
their support!  This year we welcomed Keith, VE7KW to the team.  His operating
skill and technical expertise were great to have!

K5PI was sick during most of the setup, but mostly recovered in time for the
contest.  The rest of the gang put up the A3S tribander, 40/80 inverted vee, 160
inverted L, and pennant receive antenna up in a couple days.

An 18 meter Spiderpole was used for the first time to make the 160 inverted L
with two elevated radials.  This essentially doubled the vertical height from
previous years.  This and a new location seemed to significantly improve
performance.

The transmitter failed on one of our K3 rigs, but the other was pressed into
service.  Unfortunately, this happened in the middle of our first big 15M
pileup, so we did our best imitation of a racing pit crew to make the change!
We also had a power supply fail before the contest – thanks to V31DL for the
loaner.

40M seemed uniquely noisy on Friday night, so we went to 80M very early.  We'd
done some noise testing but failed to discover that the air conditioner in our
operating cabana was the culprit!  We worked 40 hard on Saturday night and made
up some ground, although it was a bit warm in the shack.

Conditions on the high bands were not very good on Saturday, with 15 not opening
until about 1800Z.  We never saw any signs of life from 10 on Saturday.  Sunday
was much better with our first 15M QSOs in the 15Z hour and some 10M QSOs about
an hour after that.  Unfortunately, except for three superstation QSOs, the 10M
opening was limited  exclusively to W4.

Congrats to our frenemies at ZF5T for a great showing.  :-)  We got by Bill and
Bob last year when they were at PJ6A, so we're sure their celebrating well this
year!

See you all next year!