[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3JM M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vlad.ve3jm@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE3JM M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 00:31:18 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VE3JM
Operator(s): VE3EY VE3JM
Station: VE3JM

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Ontario
Operating Time (hrs): 40:30

  160:  310    71
   80:  639    94
   40: 1082   106
   20: 1687   118
   15:  298    78
   10:   19    15
-------------------
Total: 4035   482  Total Score = 5,734,836

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

For ARRL DX CW we usually do M/2 from here, but this winter I had a number of
issues with the antennas and was about to do a SOAB.

My middle antennas on both 15 and 20 stacks are not functional, and I am not a
big fan of climbing towers in the Canadian winter. The 80 4-square is also out
of service since there is a high SWR on one of the verticals and it is a bit
hard to get it fixed with so much snow on the ground.

Nick told me few days ago that he will be in Ottawa Friday afternoon, so it was
a last minute decision to do a 2-men M/2.

It was a semi-serious effort since we took longer breaks both nights at the same
time, so we ended up operating just over 40 hours each. Our wives were with us
at our cottage and we were served with great food and coffee.

I thought the first night was great on 160 and 80 and wish we could use the 80
4-square. Initially we were not getting skimmer spots from the telnet
connection, Nick got that fixed on Saturday, but we speculate that we missed
quite a few mults first night.

40 was closing early in the evening. This is the band where I need most
improvements. Currently there is a XM-240 fixed on EU at 140' and another
rotatable XM-240 is on a different tower at 80'. I hope to erect a 140' tower in
the summer and perhaps next year put up a full size monobander.

On 15 and 20 we were using only the top 15 and 20 antennas for running. My
highest antenna for 10 is at 88' so I was curious to see how bad we did on 10
compared to EJ.

It was a fun and relaxing weekend.