[3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, radekl@att.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2020 05:01:50 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 45:47
Radios: SO2R

  160:   88    52
   80:  311    74
   40:  910    96
   20: 1205    99
   15:  160    59
   10:   22    15
-------------------
Total: 2696   395  Total Score = 3,127,215

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Overall conditions seemed better than last year, except on 15 which was the
worst I've ever seen it. Ended the first night with good Qso numbers on 40 &
80 from running, and also worked most of my 160 mults via pounce. This left me
with low mult totals on 40/80 and I worked on this the 2nd night via more
pouncing. I think the 80m Qso total could have been higher if I had squeezed in
another run.

15m actually matched my expectations. I didn't have much luck running and
therefore spent the right amount of time there (not much). I didn't miss any
good rate, and worked the same LU's and PY's as everybody else.

Just so 'ya know, I am the guy that opened up 10 meters. Well into Sunday
morning I still hadn't heard a single signal, so I decided to CQ on the dead
band to see if anybody was out there. Got a faint answer to my first caller,
which was HI0LT, but he faded before I got him in the log. TO4A showed up on the
panadapter immediately thereafter, and loud - followed by 8P5A. More and more
mults showed up on the band (including HI0LT), and I stuck around to work them
all. Eventually Brazil opened, but I never heard an LU.

20m disappointed on Sunday. I typically go high in the band at first, grabbing a
clear frequency while the rate is super hot. If I go too low, there are many
others trying to grab a frequency - and there are key clicks. This year, going
high didn't work. Don't know why, but there weren't enough callers high in the
band (rate sucked). Tried to go lower, but since 15m wasn't running for anybody
20m was packed wall to wall with runners. No gaps in between them, with key
clicks pretty much everywhere. There was no place to run but up high, and I
missed out on the good rate. So I think my 20m numbers could have been higher
also.

Am looking at K5GN's amazing numbers, clearly reflecting some run time on 160.
Obviously he is doing a lot of 2BSIQ, and I am not up to speed there. Am working
on an approach using a single keyboard, and need a way to simulate 2 copies of
Morse Runner in a practice setup. Alternatively, I need some convincing that 2
keyboards work better because I see no advantages. Until this is worked out I
will continue with the mediocre scores. Just kidding, of course. I love this
contest.

Roy -- AD5Q