[3830] ARRLDX CW K9UIY SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9uiy@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K9UIY SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 22:10:31 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K9UIY
Operator(s): K9UIY
Station: K9UIY

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 37:40

  160:    6     5
   80:  186    55
   40:  159    55
   20:  253    75
   15:   46    31
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total:  653   224  Total Score = 412,488

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

The ARRL CW DX Contest has always been one of my favorites, so it was with great
anticipation and excitement as the contest weekend neared.  That excitement
quickly changed when, about three days before, I slipped on a patch of snow and
ice in my driveway (I probably looked like a cartoon doing that) giving
immediate pain in my back and right leg.  I almost gave up ideas of operating.
Thanks for some over the counter pain relief tablets, exercise on a stationary
bike, and support from my wife, I decided to give it a go regardless of
discomfort.

I'm glad I did, because conditions were truly amazing ... with exceptions being
the 10 and 15 meter bands.  For the most part, I was "comfortable" in
the chair, but I also stood and operated and took numerous "breaks"
that I would not have taken otherwise.

I checked periodically 10 and 15 for openings with little success.  Heard no
beacons on 10 either day and only on Sunday was I able to make a few Q's there.
15 was spotty both days with marginal conditions to EU.  On Sunday a huge signal
from OA4SS on 15 sucked me in ... I spent too much time calling with no Q in the
log.  I put his freq in the memory and came back several times, but no luck ...
until his signal diminished to maybe S5 when I finally got the QSO.

But 20, 40, and 80 sparkled!  I truly was kept busy and even ran a few times
with some success.  On 3567 I had a pretty decent run into EU around their
sunrise and a little bit after ... and happily surprised when P33W called in.
Notable missed Q's with VR2XAN, CX9AU, several YB's, and BY ... otherwise almost
everyone I heard I was able to get in the log.

I had several goals for the contest:
1 --- do better than last year (I think I did)
2 --- work DXCC in the weekend (did it)
3 --- manage to beat out higher powered stations in pile ups (a few !!)
4 --- manage my back/leg issue (sort of)
5 --- do my best and have fun doing it (think I did)

Thanks for the good ears out there ... thanks for all the Q's ... and special
thanks to all those world wide that made the effort to activate some incredible
stations!  And of course special thanks to my best friend and wife,Jan who is
incredible with her support and understanding of my passion of chasing DX and
contesting!

73, Vic  K9UIY

PS:  my 6 Q's on Top Band were with my 80M inverted "L" and maybe 30 W
with a high VSWR ... gotta get a sky hook going for 160 !!!