[3830] CQ160 SSB N4XD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB N4XD Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 17:26:27 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 450  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 23  Total Score = 91,512

Club: Smsithchart ARS

Comments:

A part time effort from me.

High participation, I thought, from the US. Not many EU or other DX on. Many
that were were covered under strong US signals making it difficult to copy or
work them.

I did have a couple brief runs of Europeans each of which was ended when loud US
stations moved in causing very bad QRM. I don't understand how someone can think
less than 2khz separation is sufficient. Perhaps this is why I enjoy cw
contesting more.

Conditions seemed poor to EU and even a bit to the west coast. For me the most
frustrating DX was EA9/DL1MGB. Each time I came across them they were Q5 but the
best I ever got from my calls were a couple "again".

Most unusual was from S57C. I found, and called, many times but never worked. I
was scanning the band and found an I station which I worked. When I finished
S57C calls and asks me to move up to 1912 or so. Did and worked 1 call! Pretty
funny after all the other attempts to work them.

I don't do a lot of SSB contacts so was surprised by quite a few VERY wide
signals. Also more than a couple very distorted signals. A couple to the point I
could not understand them. Most I mentioned as they may not be aware. I had that
happen to me. Couple years ago I somehow set the xmit equalizer to attenuate
everything but 300 to  600 hz. As you might imagine the signal was TERRIBLE.
Someone mentioned it and I fixed it. But to me, most of the distorted signals
sounded like they were very over driven.

Nice to have a couple different receive antennas so I could listen both to the
NE and to the west. Late last year I put up a W8JI/ W5ZN 8 antenna circle array.
It works very well. Perhaps too well for contesting as signals off the back are
very attenuated.

Thank you to all that called and my apologies to those I could not copy. I also
appreciate the patience several showed as I needed multiple repeats.

Equipment: IC 7610 (still figuring out the SSB set up)
Alpha 91b
various receive antennas
2 phased towers for xmit
N1MM+. (N1MM documentation has a nice write up on how to use the 7610 voice
keyer with it so the function keys send the 7610 memories. Very nice!)