[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1KI(KM1P) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jfitzgerald@alum.wpi.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K1KI(KM1P) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 01:01:44 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K1KI
Operator(s): KM1P
Station: K1KI

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Connecticut
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

  160:   62    41
   80:  146    66
   40:  462    90
   20: 1307   109
   15:  168    60
   10:   45     7
-------------------
Total: 2190   363  Total Score = 2,437,182

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Well that was a lot of fun!

A slightly different kind of fun this time.   Tom and I have operated K1KI as a
two man multi-multi for the last few years, which is more like a multi single as
there has been only one of us on the air at any given moment.   Neither of us
have much patience for band change rule compliance though, so we've done M/M to
maximize our fun and YCCC score.   During CQWW Phone, Tom was looking at our
score from 2019 DX Phone, and noted that if the contacts he made during the
overnight shifts when he usually operates were subtracted, it would still have
been a very competitive SO(A) effort.   A plan was immediately hatched to
challenge N3RS for high score with me at the helm in Single Op Assisted.   I had
the pleasure to negotiate the details of the challenge with Sig in person when I
visited him at his nice shack over Thanksgiving weekend.

Upon firing up the online scoreboard I saw that Peter K9PW came out east again
to pilot the NC1I station.  N3RS's score is isn't on the scoreboard, so I had to
use the NC1I score as a guide during the contest.  I knew Sig was fighting hard
though since we found ourselves in a lot of the same pileups.    Peter did great
on Saturday, but I have a notion that Peter didn't find a good run frequency
Sunday morning as I was gaining ground on him.    Hour by hour I was closing the
gap, surely I could catch him I thought.   When the my rate started to tail off
later in the morning it was my cue to satisfy a key element of my challenge with
Sig - high score does not count unless the operator goes to church.  Then it hit
me ... USA changes the clocks for daylight saving time on the second Sunday of
March ... which only very occasionally falls during DX Phone, but it does this
year.  I had missed Sunday Mass, so N3RS wins the challenge!   Well, back to
chasing Peter.   Things were looking good for me but then the walls fell in on
my 20M run frequency.  Late morning propagation changes made the Caribbean guy
who was sharing the upper quarter of my passband with me rise from a very
tolerable S5 to S9+ and it seemed like all of Europe moved in on the low side
and I just couldn't hear any more, but there was pretty much no where else to go
on 20M.   I tried to make the best of things by working everything I could find
by S&P but my rate was terrible.  Meanwhile Peter was pulling ahead I was
able to establish a run frequency after a while but couldn't quite close the
gap.   We were super close in mults, but in the end Peter claimed a few more
than I did, and a little less than 100 more Q's.  Great stuff.