[3830] ARRLDX SSB W1HS M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1hs@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W1HS M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:44:06 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: W1HS
Operator(s): W1HS KC1GDW
Station: W1HS

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: FN33wm
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:    0     0
   80:   91    51
   40:  127    63
   20:  357    85
   15:   83    36
   10:    9     3
-------------------
Total:  667   238  Total Score = 476,238

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Had a great time operating with my son, KC1GDW during the ARRL DX SSB Contest
this year. More than doubled our previous best score in this contest.

Contest started off with about average conditions Friday night, 40 was very
crowded with lots of noise.  80 was in decent shape.  Saturday morning
conditions were very good, was able to rack up a good amount of QSOs before
breakfast. 15 opened to South America with conditions remaining quite good for
several hours and even 10 opened for a bit. Conditions continued to be good
throughout the day on Saturday and even had hopes of hitting 1m points. Then
Sunday came along and absolutely dashed those hopes. Conditions were awful, rate
was way down, very few new stations to work and had to work hard for each one.
Actually read two RSGB RadCom and two QST magazines while very slowly working
stations.

We were hoping to operate multi single this year, but interlock failed just
before the contest, so we operated Multi 2 again. The station performed really
well, The new Elecraft KPA1500 on the Icom 7610 performed flawlessly and on
tunes much faster and quieter than the KPA500 did on 40 and 80 where I use a
G5RV.  The SteppIR Urbanbeam continues to impress me.  New filters for secondary
station (Icom 7300) improved isolation and we experienced virtually no intermod
between the 7610 and 7300 this year.

i think we're in good shape heading into CQ WW WPX and looking forward to it.