[3830] ARRLDX SSB 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tomgeorgens15@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB 8P5A(W2SC) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 17:20:00 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:  255    50
   80:  796    57
   40: 2010    61
   20: 2228    59
   15: 1792    58
   10:   42    14
-------------------
Total: 7123   299  Total Score = 6,389,331

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Station setup went about as smooth as ever this time.  Some small issues but the
station worked fine, including three amps repaired since ARRL CW.

However, throughout the contest, I struggled with audio issues.  I have never
had this happen in the past.  Numerous comments all weekend caused me to stop
and check stuff out.  It always sounded OK in the monitor so I had to listen to
the actual transmitted signal.  The station automation has various protections
if both radios are on the same band. So, I had to work around them and be extra
careful that I did not blow up a radio.  Still, signal levels were very high and
it was hard to tell, at least the signals did not look wide on the panadapter.

I eventually checked every radio/amp pair on each band several times over the
course of the weekend.  Even when I thought it was all OK, on Sunday I was told
that it sounded like I had RF in my audio on 80.

The net was that I took a lot of short breaks and was distracted during the
weekend.

Issues side, even a perfect weekend would not have changed the outcome.
TI7W/N6MJ dominated all weekend and achieved a well earned, decisive victory.
Congratulations Dan!

Looming over all my recent operations is the pending sale of property where the
station is located.  I rent space in an abandoned and dilapidated section of a
very large farm.  A long sought opportunity to sell the property finally
materialized and, after multiple delays, looks to be close to completion.  The
new buyers have plans for my space, and ARRL SSB will likely be my last
competition from this QTH. I have been searching on every trip for alternate
locations, but nothing has materialized.

Thanks for the Q's and the moves.  Thank also to my wife Kathleen not only for
her help and support this weekend, but for the last 20 years at this site.  It
could not have happened without her

73, Tom

QSL via LoTW or HA1AG