[3830] WiQP WB8WKQ SO Fixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, seismadude2@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] WiQP WB8WKQ SO Fixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 02:29:47 +0000
                    Wisconsin QSO Party - 2020

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: SO Fixed LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:      3        0
   80:     52       42
   40:     40        7
   20:      1        0
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
------------------------
Total:     96       49  Mults = 52  Total Score = 28,414.0

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Last year, I got taught a lesson that in contests that CW points are worth twice
as much as phone Q's, it is prudent to concentrate on CW.  Last year I had a
perfect 50/50% split CW to phone.  This year, I was nearly 2:1 biased in favor
of CW.  Hence, even with 15 less Q's and 4 less multipliers, I considerably beat
last year's score .  After a full Saturday of QSO parties (OK and ID) and these
continuing into Sunday, I was a bit burnt on contesting.  But once things
started going, I "sucked it up" and started to play.  But, since I was
still "playing" in Sundays "overtime" on the other two QP's,
I wasn't fully devoting all my time to the WIQP.  Plus, things on 40M must have
been too long for me here in Michigan.  I was thinking I wasn't going to do very
well.  I even went to 80M early and was struggling there too.  At this point, I
thought maybe going low power was a mistake. But, suddenly the tide turned and
propagation to WI on 80M was excellent, and even barefoot, I was busting the
pileups on the mobiles.  I even had a nice run on Phone calling CQ, and probably
should have stayed there, but my traffic handling duties took precedence.
Still, all in all, I beat last year's score by a good margin, which I never
would have imagined, especially at the start of the contest.  Many thanks to all
the mobiles, who as usual, make things much more interesting.