[3830] WPX SSB KJ5T SO(A)SB20 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve@kj5t.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KJ5T SO(A)SB20 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 01:25:47 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: KJ5T
Operator(s): KJ5T
Station: KJ5T

Class: SO(A)SB20 QRP
QTH: Austin, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  40
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Original plan had been to operate this one from Brownsville, TX where I have a
4BTV up.  It still isn't a contest station but a bit better than QRP from the
apartment with stealth "antennas".  Alas, with COVID-19 we felt it
prudent to cancel the trip south.

This is my second year operating in this class as last year plans changed at the
last minute and I used the time to put the AX1 on the air.  This year I found
that my End-Fed and AX1 were just too noisy, I don't know if we have new noise
sources or just band conditions but the noise on 20 for me was horrible.
Signals were up and down the entire weekend.

I started the first night rotating though my three antenna options, the AX1,
End-Fed wire, and hamstick dipole.  I found the hamstick dipole had the least
amount of noise.  Needless to say my experience was very different from last
year where I made 32 Q's in just 5 hours of operating.  With the noise on the
bands and the up and down signals it was tough going.

There is absolutely some operating skill necessary for the big QRP scores that
we see, I would be curious to see some of the antenna situations from the more
serious QRP folks.  No doubt had I been more aggressive and worked out a
strategy I might have had a bigger score despite the disadvantages.

I do appreciate all of those who pulled me out of the noise, I know there were a
lot of repeats and I was way under your noise floor, thank you for hanging in
there.  This is a really fun contest.  We'll see what category I decide to do
next year!