[3830] WPX SSB KB9OWD SOAB TB-Wires LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KB9OWD SOAB TB-Wires LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 01:37:40 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 32

------------
  160:
   80:  118
   40:  804
   20:  189
   15:   34
   10:    2
------------
Total: 1147  Prefixes = 395  Total Score = 630,815

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

COVID-19 put the stop on a M2 at K9CT this weekend, so just planned to get on a
few hours from home.  The home setup is low power, with a multi band dipole at
about 30 feet.  I planned a very limited part time effort.

After a good run on Friday evening ON 40, I decided to see if 1,000 QSOs could
be made and that became the goal.  With my present setup and conditions, that
was a lofty goal even with a decent start but would provide something I would
truly have to work at all weekend.  Wisconsin weather was cold, windy and rainy
most of the weekend.  Add in social distancing and there was nothing in the
plans and my wife gave me the green light to push toward the goal.

I ran probably all but 4 hours.  I have no DVK.  Surprisingly, the voice is
great after about 27 hours of CQ.  We will see how it holds out tomorrow.

40 was a bottomless pit and provided callers both day and night.  20 was what I
expected.  Very little Europe to be had with the exception of the big signals
given the low dipole and current conditions.  I worked what I was able.  Europe
was pretty much only workable early afternoon both days.

15 opened nice to the southeast USA on Sunday afternoon.  Besides that, I felt
like I was calling into a dummy load and many loud SA CQ in my face most of the
weekend.  Managed to get the dipole to tune on 80 and work just over 100 there,
mostly on Sunday evening before the end.  I think there was more life to 10 on
Sunday than many numbers will show.  I call CQ there a bit but limited results.

Stay safe everyone!

73,

Ryan KB9OWD