[3830] WPX SSB K6RO SOAB TB-Wires HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lashap@cox.net
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K6RO SOAB TB-Wires HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 02:35:24 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K6RO
Operator(s): K6RO
Station: K6RO

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 35

------------
  160:
   80:   51
   40:  322
   20:  802
   15:   70
   10:   17
------------
Total: 1262  Prefixes = 445  Total Score = 837,490

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Decided to do full time HP to test out what I have up now.
Started on 15,but it died within minutes..switched to 20m ,and things were
pretty good.Spent 2.5 hrs on 20,and had 169 q's. Switched to 40m,and spent 2.5
hours there..had 318 q's at 05:17z. Went to 80..spent an hour there,and went
back to 40.Stayed there until I went to bed at 0800z with 421 q's .
I could tell after the first 8 hours that I need more gain on 20 and 40. 2
elements at 40 feet on 20.and a dipole for 40m at 43 feet just doesn't cut it in
contests.Just too hard to find a run frequency,or keep it after I carve one
out.

Got up Saturday at 1400z,and made 1 q on 80,and a few on 40 before going to
20m.
Stayed on 20 until 1941z,with just a few band changes to 15m.
I really needed 15 to be open to stateside,as 20 was just too crowded.
I worked all the SA stations on 15..most were pretty loud,and checked 10m a few
times.Then back to 20m...and continued to check 10 and 15m quite often.
20m was the main band,as I had some good runs there.my best was Sunday..257 q's
at 76 per hour..that is good for me with the antennas I have :)
Went to bed Saturday night at 0530z with 1028 q's. Got up Sunday at 1208z,and
Spent 30 minutes trying 80,then 40,before getting on 20m.
I spent most of the contest trying to run,until I had to move..sometimes I only
worked 3-5 stations before back to S and P until I found another run spot. A
good run for me is at least 20 q's. In this contest, I had 13 pretty good runs
that totaled about 700 of my 1262 q's .Sunday was difficult , as only 20m was
open , and everyone was there. Sunday morning N1MM crashed 2 times..never
happened before..the entry screen went black,and I could not exit the program.
Each time I had to restart the computer..glad no data was lost. It never
happened again, so I was happy. My voice keyer had a mind of it's own...3-4
different issues with it..possible RF in the shack ?
I knew I was in trouble Q Wise on Saturday,as I heard Dick W6TK was 500 q's
ahead of me. Without Dick being on,I probably would have stopped Saturday
night,but I wanted to compare my station with his.. I did the best I could with
what I have at the moment.

As Bill, N6RV said before this contest,this will be a worked all stated
contest,with not much DX. Where were all the JA's ?
Europe was weak for me,and I had no interest in any pileups.
 I really missed contesting and all my friends when I was MIA for 16 years. I am
back,and am having fun again. Thanks for all the q's,73,Larry K6RO

K3S
KPA-1500 Amp
Heil Pro7
N1MM