[3830] WPX SSB KW7Y(K7RL) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB KW7Y(K7RL) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 06:34:08 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: KW7Y
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:  323
   40: 1335
   20: 1447
   15:   33
   10:    0
------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

This is one of my favorite contests, but that was hard work. Maneuvering run
frequencies felt like being sandwiched in the center airline seat during a
turbulent flight with a couple of 400+ pound Sumo wrestlers on each side. High
QRM and QRN on crowded bands, with layers of stations running near, or on the
same frequency was humbling. Thanks for the seemingly endless fills needed to
get the exchange. Guess this probably won't be a golden log.

40m was very good all weekend. Evening EU runs both days was a bonus. Also
worked a very large number of YB, YC and YD stations. Many more than usual.
Haven’t done the math yet, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the number equaled
or exceeded the number of JA stations in my log. Beyond 40m, numbers drop
dramatically, so perhaps license restrictions come into play. QSO’s take a
little longer with the language barrier, but the increase in operators is
encouraging and fantastic!

With such high QRM and QRN, it took every ounce of brain power to copy each QSO.
As a result, this was mainly a single radio effort. The second radio was mostly
used to search for openings, or check propagation on different bands.

While the worldwide pandemic rages, it was strangely comforting to contest on
the coronavirus-free radio waves of ham radio where social distancing and gobs
of hand sanitizer don’t apply. More than ever, I really enjoyed and
appreciated the opportunity to work so many from all corners of the globe and
while traveling vicariously through the radio.

Stay safe.

73, Mitch, K7RL