[3830] WPX SSB K9ZO SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB K9ZO SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 02:01:06 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Illinois
Operating Time (hrs): 19:40

------------
  160:    7
   80:  254
   40:  881
   20:  990
   15:  113
   10:   34
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Generally lots of single point QSOs and European contacts were hard to get.
Never worked into central Europe, so few SP and DL in the log.   No far away DX
all weekend and only a handful of Africans.

160 was noisy, but except for the howling wind, the storms missed us.  Not much
activity there.  Quite different from the winter time DX chasing.

80 worked great, but mostly USA.  The multiple receiving antennas were amazing.
(SAL30, 4 beverages, vertical, inverted vee)  The only difficult thing was
trying to find the best antenna when a K3 was in California.   Improvements are
planned.

I got on 40 at sunset and worked a ton of W6 & W7 hours before their sunset.
 The second night I got on 80 at sunset and did the same thing.  Coverage was
excellent on 80/40 with East, West, and Midwest coming in at the same time.
Raising the 40 meter inverted vee  last month seems to have helped, because, as
always, the SteppIR would not work on 40.  Tuning in stations was rough because
of a bad VFO encoder on the Flex, so I mostly called CQ.  I had some very good
rate at times.   I stayed on one frequency for 456 QSOs, but sadly very few
Europeans made it in the log.

20 was rough.  I had to take naps and sleep at night to keep from getting
exhausted so was not on for the early part of the opening.   Almost 20 hours off
time.  The footswitch was risky, but provided good physical therapy.  I never
could crack the east coast wall or run DX stations.  Late in the afternoon I was
running USA and a few Europeans called in.  Since the coverage was so good I
often could pick up multiple calls for each CQ.  I had no VK or ZL, or Middle
East, but managed a few JA at the end.  Except for KP4 there was little in the
Caribbean activity.

15 had a good selection of South Americans.  Giving reports in Spanish or
Portuguese made it more fun and meant I only had to give it once.

10 was similar with a short opening down south.

I enjoyed a few short and log rag chews along the way including an hour with
AC9S.  Skip was almost always long, so not too many W9 in the log.  Lots of guys
called in who had very low numbers, so that was encouraging.  My wife brought
excellent meals to the shack.