[3830] InQP K9NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] InQP K9NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 01:14:25 +0000
                    Indiana QSO Party - 2020

Call: K9NN
Operator(s): K9NN
Station: K9NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Carmel, IN
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:   77     99
   40:  162    256
   20:  106     28
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  345    383  CW Mults = 75  Ph Mults = 89  Total Score = 175,972

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Had a great time during INQP this year and entered in the single op, low power
class.  I started on 20M as 40M sounded pretty “dead” at 11AM.  My station
is definitely on the “small size”, especially on 20M, as my antenna is a
10M-80M Off Center Fed Dipole (OFCD) at 20 feet and power of 100W.  Not very
conducive to a run mode, "pile-up generator”.  It really helps to have
the 7QP contest start two hours before INQP as that provides a reasonable number
of stations to “search and pounce”.  Also, the NEQP group adds a good many
stations later, when it starts at 4PM.  I really utilized the telnet network to
feed the N1MM+ Band Map to help me find the unworked 7QP and NEQP stations
quickly.   The needed multiplier window of N1MM+ was a great help in keeping
track of where the unworked multipliers were located.

Stayed primarily on 20M and 40M CW until about 4PM and then tried some 40M
phone, with muted success.  Moved back to CW and wondered if phone was going to
work much at all with this station setup.  Boy, was I in for a pleasant surprise
later !

By about 5PM had worked most of the 7QP folks on 20M CW so moved to 80M CW and
phone. I have a LDG 600ProII Automatic Antenna Tuner that works really well,
except on 80M phone.  I need to manually insert a section of coax into the OCFD
feed line to get the impedance lowered enough so the LDG would work.  Definitely
slows down band changes to 80M.  I need to work on adjusting the dipole wire
lengths for optimum operation on all bands.

Bounced between 80M and 40M CW before going back to 40M phone at 9PM, to see if
the band had opened up.  It had!  I sat on one frequency for the next 90 minutes
and worked 167 QSO’s, with rates hitting over 200 Q’s/hr for two, 15 minute
stretches.  What a blast!

Big thanks to the INQP folks for putting this event together.
73,
Dale K9NN