[3830] WPX CW VE9CB SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve9cb@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] WPX CW VE9CB SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 00:31:59 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VE9CB
Operator(s): VE9CB
Station: VE9CB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Brunswick
Operating Time (hrs): 35
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  172
   40:  584
   20: 1012
   15:  442
   10:  228
------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

It has been a few years since I worked anyone (other than Mike VE9AA) on five
bands in the same contest. That was the big news: both 10 and 15 metres were
open and five-band QSO were possible! I worked about 200 EU and western Asia on
10 and 15m, and many NA ststions by Sporadic-E.  That relieved some of the
crowding on 20m.

I started the contest really tired and couldn't last three hours before taking a
break.  I kept falling asleep during QSOs!  I took about six hours off, got up
wioth the sun and went back at at, and still kept slipping into sleep during
QSOs.

I was working hard to catch up to the activity.  That early off-time gave me a
small QSO # to exchange, so that motivated me to keep working.

Despite pretty good conditions, and failry good rates, my score at the end of
Day 1 was a miserable 1200 QSO x 515 Prefixes for 2.2Meg.  It was looking
dubtful wheather I would match my 2,000 Qs and 5.2Meg score of 2019.

Three hours into Day 2, I was nodding off again.  I took the rest of my off
time, plus one hour was back in the chair as the sun was rising.

By 1930z on Sunday, I had matched my 2019 score, and I still had a 4.5 hours to
go.  So, I just kept pushing, trying to run, in the chaotic and crowded 20m
band, occasionally checking if 40 sounded good enough to run Europeans.  As soon
as 40 was ggood enough, I switch to 40m for those six point QSOs.

I finished with a score half-way between my 2016 (good conditions) and 2019 (bad
conditions) scores.

Antennas:
10/15/20: two tribanders at 20 and 22 metres - one stuck on EU, one stuck on US
- perfecto for WPX!
40: 4-square
80: Vertical
160: what's that?