[3830] WPX CW K4HQK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW K4HQK SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 01:32:32 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 19:45

------------
  160:    0
   80:   19
   40:  237
   20:  241
   15:   41
   10:    9
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I think the bottom of the solar cycle was showing, given the shortness of F skip
(single skip most of time, I'm guessing). I heard very few stations in South
America and the Caribbean. I never heard the Far East, the Pacific Islands or
Australia, except for New Zealand, and nil from Alaska. Even western U.S.
stations were not easy to work. European activity seemed dominated by Hungary,
Slovenia, Slovak Republic, Estonia, Ukraine, Romania, etc. Sunday mid-morning a
path opened to Scandinavia for a while. Then Sunday afternoon signals became
mushy as a solar flare teased the ionosphere a bit (A=14, K=1).

Activity was highest, of course, on 40 and 20 meters, mainly after 5 p.m. EDT.
There were moderate daytime openings on 15 meters both days, and a brief one on
10 meters Saturday. A high background noise level plus distant QRN apparently
held down 80 meters' popularity both nights. Interesting contest,
propagation-wise.

Operating speeds were mostly under 30 wpm, some far below that. (Were they
really using a straight key?) My call, despite my best efforts to send it
cleanly, was heard by nearly half the stations I worked as "K4SQK,"
tediously requiring correction again and again.

The bottom line, however, was that WPX was still an enjoyable way to squeeze in
some focused S&P contesting between family obligations and household chores,
an opportunity to hone one's skills on the air. And--all that CW activity was
music to my ears ;-)

73,

John K4HQK
Alexandria