[3830] WPX CW NR6O(@N6RO) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chris.tate@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW NR6O(@N6RO) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 01:38:52 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: NR6O
Operator(s): N6RO K3EST K6AW WA6O N6WM NA6O WD6T
Station: N6RO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Oakley CA
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

------------
  160:  124
   80:  589
   40: 1206
   20: 1739
   15:  515
   10:  177
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Wow.  that was interesting.  and challenging.  and fun.

The N6RO contest team, strapped by social distancing rules that are even
stricter here in the bay area than elsewhere in this state and the country.  We
have been working on multiple remotes to Radio Oakley to compensate.  First test
of setup was 7qp resulting in a M/M record using remote, from those lessons we
decided to take on CQ WPX as a larger team.  One of the most important aspects
of multi op contesting is the in shack communication and camaraderie. We had a
"Slack" channel up for all comms..  this worked mostly ok except its
not instant enough.. and difficult when there are problems.  but power through
we did, improving on last years effort as a leaner and socially distant team.

The good:
-non commercial Remotes worked as tested within the confines of not pushing the
bandwidth envelope.  we put this all together ourselves.
-we were able to equip some of our top operators to remote, some for first
time.
-we beat last years score!
-everyone seemed very happy to be able to do some good cw.
-overall audio and latency were tolerable
- 2 maybe 3 contest band records were set in station
- Online contest scoreboard -- LOVE IT.

The Bad.
- At least 3 solid internet drops. (recovery was quick and easy)
- several inop antennas and rotors
- We seem to have interstation interference problem 40M > 20/10/15
- We lost 1 flex 6600-M with hard hardware fault (had to sub in spare)
- learning to work with each other while totally apart from one another
- thunder storms Saturday AM.

The operators:
"Day Shift"
10M (5 X 5 X 5 stack - Flex 6600-M PGXL) NA6O/WD6T.
Both our 80m ops split duty keeping watch on 10, we were hoping it would pop,
and it did on Sunday.  No meters like 10 meters.  good job guys.  Dave really
hit it hard on sunday catching a Es opening of substance.

15M (5 X 5 X 5 stack with middle rotator inop) - Flex 6600-M PGXL N6WM
I kept a vigil on 15 hoping for an EU opening.. Sat only CR.. Sunday was good
enough to run.. YAY been a long time since we RAN eu from W6 on 15! humbug
transceiver failed in middle of EU run.  Needed to deploy to the empty shack to
replace. (thanks NA6O for coverage while I replaced rig.. he enjoyed the run)

20M (5 X 5 X 5 middle inop) K3/0 twin Alpha amp K3EST/K6AW.  Bob and Steve split
the duty even down the middle K3EST alone in shack Sat, Steve remote Sun. Both
did their usual solid professional work.. providing our workhorse qso total!

"Night Shift"
40M (4 X 4 stack, lower slipping a bit) K3/0 twin AL-1200.  WA6O.  we spent time
getting Mike setup in advance for his first remote effort.  All worked well, he
broke the 40m station total record for this contest.

80M (4sq, and listening antennas) Flex 6600-M PGXL WD6T NA6O, Gary said no EU
other than CR, and no other Asia except JA.  but good qso totals.  Dave
leveraged SO2V on 80 to obtain some higher rate totals, he is a regular in NS
and CWT (Gary also in CWT) but had to keep it somwhat in check to ensure it
didnt affect other band operators with qrm.  he did great.. vy good 80m total
Kick ass low band team.

160M (4sq and SAL) K3 and Alpha. N6RO.  Our leader is also our 160 master.  Ken
pulled 2 night shifts maintaining our 160 big RO signal.  sometimes enjoying
some Sake to celebrate JA qso time!

(note both NA6O and WD6T were really good on subbing in for breaks and problem
resolving on several bands day and night.  much appreciated considering they
were powering through 80m at night)

We all are grateful to Ken N6RO for sponsoring M/M contesting.  Its a special
sub segment of contesting that is important to preserve.  We felt very strongly
to keep it safe, keep it socially distant,  but keep it qrv.  I think we pulled
it off.  Thanks for ALL the qso's.  Thanks to our great and knowledgeable team
of veterans and skilled operators, many trying remote for the first or second
time,  Thanks to the entire RO team for their extended support, and thanks to CQ
for sponsoring such a fantastic contest.

>From Ken N6RO and the entire Radio Oakley WPX contest team
73 and seeya next time!

Chris
N6WM