[3830] WPX CW KA1IS SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tkzic@megalink.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KA1IS SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 11:22:49 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 35.9

------------
  160:    9
   80:   18
   40:  476
   20:  439
   15:   85
   10:   15
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Another field operation from Witt Hill in Norway, Maine.

Antennas:
160/80: tee vertical with remote tuner, about 50 ft vert. and 80 ft. horiz.
40: 4 wire beams at about 35-40 ft high, 4 el NE and 3 el SW, SE, NW
20: 44 foot doublet at 50 feet high with remote tuner
15: 40 meter SW wire beam with tuner
10: same doublet as 20 meters
recv: 300 ft. reversible Beverages NE/SW NW/SE

Rig:
Ten-tec Argonaut 6, Skookumlogger, Ten-tec 238b tuner, 2* MFJ 998RT tuners,
Bioenno LiFePo batteries, and a bunch of switches and relays.

Comments:

I was really surprised that anyone could hear me. It was a last minute decision
to do QRP AB instead of SB40 LP that I have done in previous years. But
conditions were good and everything worked except a 20 meter K3LR sloper array
that I built this week, and ran out of time to debug. Also the MFJ tuners were
not happy with low battery voltages. Was using a remote antenna switch to
minimize coax cables coming into the tent and it worked great. The weather had
been super hot and humid all week - insects were awful - but a front came
through Saturday with rain, gusty winds, and then temps dropped to the 40's (F)
all day Sunday and it was difficult to keep warm while sitting in the chair.

Conditions on 20 and 40 were great to EU and USA. Not so much activity
elsewhere. Brazil could be heard on 15 both afternoons.

All band category is way more difficult than SB40. Decisions, decisions...

Thanks to the great Ops who were patient with weak signals and put in  effort to
make difficult QSO's. It seemed like some QSO's took 5 minutes to complete and
very few Ops bailed on me.

73,
Tom
KA1IS