[3830] WPX CW WN4AFP SOAB TB-Wires LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, daveedmo@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WN4AFP SOAB TB-Wires LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:55:41 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WN4AFP
Operator(s): WN4AFP
Station: WN4AFP

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 32

------------
  160:    0
   80:  200
   40:  314
   20:  348
   15:  108
   10:   28
------------

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

If I could only participate in one contest (excluding QSO Party contests), it
would be the CQ WPX CW contest! Last year I had the incredibLe opportunity to
work contest with some amazing operators at NR4M and make a ton of Qs. Steve
invited me to come back in 2020 for the contest, but the COVID-19 changed
everyone's plans.

So instead of using a K3, 1500w amp and having a choice of multiple antennas,
this year I used my IC-751 and my N4IQ 80m OCF dipole at 50'. After returning to
contesting in 2013, my first five CQWPX contests were 40m SOLP and I put up good
single band scores. In 2018, I made my first attempt at the SOAB LP and had a
blast and made around 500 Qs. I decided to go SOAB LP and I set a goal of 750
Qs. My all-time high Q total as a single operator was 550. So I set a lofty goal
of 750 Qs and be on the air for the entire 36 hours. I also was highly motivated
by my fellow Swamp Foxes, N4XL, N4IQ, NU4E and the rest of the gang.

My goal was to work anyone that I heard... I was not concentrating on 6 pointers
or mults, I was shooting for the 750. The rig and cool antenna was working great
and I was running and S&P on 40, 20 and 80m until 0945z. I had 360 Qs before
I took a quick nap.  At 1145z I work 20m and all high bands. I took a took a few
hours off during the afternoon and pushed on. I was making contacts on 20m, 15m
and even 10m during the day and then 40m was red hot. At about the 21 hour mark,
I worked Bruce, N1LN, for contact number 750! I reached my goal and I had much
more time in the contest.

Now I was ready to set a new goal of 1000 Qs. I started Sunday at 1300z and
worked until 1630z with 890 Qs due to a family commitment. I returned for the
evening contest rush. At 2356z I was 995 Qs and I was searching 40m for five
more Qs in four minutes. I made the next three contacts in one minute and that's
how it ended. I really made 1014, but 16 were dupes. I was excited about the
998Qs and the nice score. The weather was excellent the entire contest and Mr.
Murphy was nowhere to be found.

Average rate 32.31 QSOs/h Average rate per operator 32.31 QSOs/h
Best QSO Rate for 10 minutes period 84 QSOs/hour at 2020-05-30 06:20:00
Best QSO Rate for 30 minutes period 66 QSOs/hour at 2020-05-30 04:07:00
Best QSO Rate for 60 minutes period 58 QSOs/hour at 2020-05-30 04:35:00

One really cool result was that I was able to effectively spread my time around
all the bands expect for 160m during the contest. I was able to make the right
band moves at the right times.

 Band     QSOs     Pts  WPX  Pt/Q
   3.5     200     262   72   1.3
     7     314     683  162   2.2
    14     348     616  162   1.8
    21     108     141   24   1.3
    28      28      29    3   1.0
 Total     998    1731  423   1.7

I heard many of my Swamp Fox ops on the air, but only worked a feW of them. I
worked many of my CWOps members. I had a blast working the ops running at 38-40
wpm. Thanks to all for the Qs and we'll see y'all next year!

Dave WN4AFP