[3830] WPX CW WW1X(@W1/JONESPORT) M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lee@ww2dx.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WW1X(@W1/JONESPORT) M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 18:51:00 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WW1X
Operator(s): N2RC KL9A KO7SS K3JO N2ZN WW1X W1ADI W2RE WW2DX K1LZ AA4LS
Station: W1/JONESPORT

Class: M/M HP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

------------
  160:  213
   80:  836
   40: 2169
   20: 2779
   15: 1389
   10:  620
------------

Club:

Comments:

60 days later and a heavy heart.

First and foremost, we would like to express our thoughts and prayers to the
hard hit regions of the world that are in crisis.  Two months have passed since
WPX SSB and we have had friends and family beat C19 and we have unfortunately
had friends and family that lost the fight to C19.

Again, the ability to be home in isolation and still communicate with friends
all over the world truly shows how fortunate we are as a radio community.

Congratulations to the fantastic efforts by the M/* teams that once again used
ingenuity to overcome the social distancing restrictions. It is now clear that
we will look back as a turning point on how M/* contesting has changed.

Pre game plan.

We took what we learned from SSB and applied some alterations and ran with it.
We did make a number of new enhancements.

1. Spots with color coded mult/dupe/not worked integrated into the panadapter.
2. Fine tuned ESM mode.
3. Quick edit of entries to make corrections on the fly
4. Auto-CQ tweaks

W2RE headed to Maine and was “on-site” to handle any oddities that might
come up. Over the 48 hours test we only needed one “hands on” tweak and that
was to open the doors on the buildings as the ventilation was not keeping up
with the heat.

One aspect of remote contesting that we sometimes take for granted is that we
can add op’s “on the fly”. Someone needs to bail early, local connectivity
or PC problems and we can instantly hand off the station to another team member
even in another country.

We used the same tools as before for time tracking with a simple google sheet
and slack for comms the entire weekend. This seems to work very well for us.

Game time.

The browser based ESM was awesome. Once you had your groove you were in.
Everything worked as planned and only a couple of hiccups early on.  Within a
few hours of the test we were a well oiled machine. The conditions were mediocre
at best and the real magic happened on 10/15 meters, having those spring E’s
gave us some really nice runs into EU over the weekend. Couple of nice evening
and early morning openings to Asia was a nice treat to scoop up that run of
mults.

Post game.

We are pretty happy with the results and have a good idea on where we need to
improve and goals for the fall season. We crossed the old NA record with 10
hours left in test and broke the highest mult total by one right at the very
end. Additionally it looks like some band records may have been beat as well on
160, 80, 40 and 20m.

This round we had another great crew:

WW1X (CT)
WW2DX (NY)
W2RE (ME)
K1LZ (MA)
K3JO (MA)
W1ADI (Slovenia)
KO7SS (AZ)
KL9A (MT)
AA4LS (NC)
N2RC (NY)
N2ZN (NY)

Thanks.

I wanted to thank W2RE and K1LZ for the use of that great station. Their
partnership in that station is clearly paying off with some incredible
performance. This gives the RHR team a great platform to engineer remote
contesting 2.0. Thanks to the team for once again showing what world class
operators at a world class station can achieve with the right tools.

Hope to see everyone in the fall!

73 Lee
WW2DX