[3830] WPX CW N8II SOSB20 Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N8II SOSB20 Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 16:29:22 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB20 LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 22.3

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  949
   15:    6
   10:    5
------------
Total:  949  Prefixes = 612  Total Score = 1,159,740

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were so good on 20 the first 3 hours that I decided to go single
band. At the start EU and AS signals as far east as Central Asia were very loud
and stayed that way through about 0240Z. I was called by numerous EU and
starting at 0149Z Russian 3/4/6/8/9's and VU2. I averaged over 80 Q's/hour in
the first 3 hours spending most the the time with the beam NE S&P'ing EU/AS.
The 80M ladder line fed dipole and 2 el yagi south helped a lot in
working/breaking pile ups on NA and SA when not beaming those areas the entire
weekend.

Saturday morning around 12Z there was good Es to the NE and all day there was
significant sporadic E. I worked CR6K on a quick check of 10M and heard HA8
earlier and there were EU on 15. The short was amazingly persistent until around
02Z. During the afternoon the skip zone shortened to about 50 miles allowing me
to work very nearby MD,VA, and PA stations. It was great to have good prop to
the entire USA and Canada at one time or another. The number of W1/3/4/8/8's and
VE2/3's active was almost beyond belief. VE3 was my most most common prefix and
they are normally skipping over on 20. The price paid for the Es was somewhat
weaker than normal prop to EU. There were loud big guns, but running was very
difficult and S&P tedious as there were many USA stations competing to work
EU. I was successful running USA/VE stations around 20-01Z which cost some EU
Q's/mults.
By 01Z EU was basically gone and the Asian opening did not materialize due to a
solar flare.

Sunday morning the Es had disappeared and it stayed that way most of the day. I
did manage to work HL2 and BY3 with good signals, but only logged 3 JA's the
entire weekend. Condx to EU were somewhat better, but from 15-18Z they were
mostly too weak to work and to boot my 92 y/o mom decided to visit for lunch.
Around 20Z, I had a clear EU run frequency low in the band, but the run only
lasted a few minutes with still no QRM. Most of Sunday was spent above 14050
S&P'ing and running EU. I was surprised to have a decent run rate the first
half of the 23Z hour long after you would expect the casual ops to be in bed.

The activity level was incredibly high from both EU and NA which made for a very
fun contest. I worked almost every part of the world except SE Asia at one time
or another. Numerous Middle East prefixes were worked and VK6 long path. Thanks
for all of the Q's and sorry for a few unintentional dupes. The operator skill
level was high from the vast majority of ops. CW contesting is still very alive
and well! I would not have predicted that 20 years ago.

73, Jeff N8II