[3830] ARRL June VHF WB8WKQ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, seismadude2@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF WB8WKQ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 23:13:16 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  51     34  Total Score = 1,734

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Thought this contest was going to be a bust.  Started on Saturday 2 pm local
(1800z) and basically heard nil.  I worked two locals on 6M and one on 2M.  So
when Sunday rolled around, wasn't going to spend any time on it without a band
opening.  But about 10:45 am local (1445z) I was able to work a few stations on
CW fairly close (North Carolina).  I kept plugging along on CW, and since the
signals were pretty weak, didn't think about checking SSB.  After I ran out of
CW stations to work, tuned up the band on SSB and low and behold, the band was
packed from 50.125 to well above 50.200.  What a blast!  I don't have any type
of VHF antenna system, so this was definitely a treat.  My six meter beam is
setup on my deck about 10 feet up.  So any type of 6M contact is great.  I did
use my FTdx5000 which actually is 200W on six.  So, I wasn't a pileup buster,
but made contact with nearly everyone I called.  Maybe the extra 100W helped.
Very fun few hours on six.  It seemed to die right around 2 pm again.  Thanks to
all.