[3830] ARRL June VHF N4WW Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N4WW Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 15:47:48 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: N4WW
Operator(s): N4WW K1MM
Station: N4WW

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: Florida
Operating Time (hrs): 23:34

    6:  978   159
    2:
  222:
  432:
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  978   159  Total Score = 155,502

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Thanks to Doc N4WW for letting me camp out at his QTH for most of the weekend
and share the operating chair. One of my goals was to try out FT8, so we spent a
few hours on 50.313 when all the signals on SSB and CW disappeared. Aside from
working a few European multipliers on FT8 that would have been inaudible
otherwise, FT8 contesting was not as much fun for me as the
"traditional" modes.

Although Doc is a seasoned 6 meter operator, I think this was my time operating
VHF since VK9XM and VK9YM in 1982, and my first VHF contest since operating with
the W2SZ crew from the top of Mount Greylock in the 1970s. It was great fun,
especially when the band opened wide around 1500Z-1800Z on Sunday. Our maximum
60-minute rate was more than 160 per hour on SSB and 100 per hour on CW. I had
forgotten about how the propagation becomes so focused on a specific area (For
example, all of a sudden we were working nothing but stations in Oklahoma for
about 10 minutes!)

The station has no equipment for anything above 6 meters, so all our activity
was on a single band. Also, for some reason TELNET was not working properly, so
we were unable to snag any new multipliers from the cluster.

Thanks to all who called in to say hello and give us a point!

73,

Bill K1MM