[3830] ARRL June VHF K6NR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6nr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K6NR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 19:24:07 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  143    54  Total Score = 9,612

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first fairly serious effort in a VHF contest.  I had a
blast. I operated from our property in Phelan, California.

I recently acquired a second AB-577 military mast and setup yagis for
2 meters, 440 and 1.2g at about 45'. I didn't install a rotator so I
turned the whole mast from the bottom with the AB-577 wrench. I had
three coaxes running down the mast to a switch connecting to the
shack. I spent an amount of time running out back to switch antennas
or turn the mast. At least I got some exercise. Next time maybe I'll
add a rotator and use a triplexer to feed the shack?  Don't want to
make it too easy.

I spent a fair amount of time listening on multiple frequencies,
waiting for new stations to show up. I had my IC9700 as the main
radio, with my K3 on 6m, and mobile rigs on 220 and 440 fm.  Hard to
tell which one I was hearing at times, and easy to pick up the wrong
microphone. 6m FT8 was helpful to keep up a pace when no one new
was on. The modest openings on 6m were nice, but, well, modest.

The calling frequencies were a bit over used - folks would get on from
mountain tops or strong base stations and make it hard for others to
come on and announce and get off. I am too used to HF contesting
where there is liberal use of VFOs.

Greatest fun was working some distant stations on 2 meters.  I worked
a number of San Francisco area stations on FT8, as well as a few in
Nevada and parts east.  I wasn't setup for FT8 on the IC9700 but
managed to crack that nut during the contest. I also worked K6MYC
and his megastation up in DM07.  That's about the longest haul for me
on 2 meter SSB to date.  Also worked K6MWK in DM06.

At any rate, it was quite an experience.  Thanks everyone for the
QSOs, including my first 3 ever on 1.2ghz (W6PNG, N6AX and N6MI).

73,  Dana