[3830] ARRL June VHF K1HTV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1HTV Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 20:52:38 +0000

  50     MSK144     7          5
  50     USB         24          4
144     FT8          60         24

Total  Both         457       211

            Score : 96,427

Rig: K3
6M -  800W SSPA & 7el LFA yagi at 77 ft
2M -  400W SSPA & FO12 yagi at 82 ft.

The 6M band opened big Saturday morning before the start of the VHF contest.
Stations 21 countries were worked before the contest even started;  9A, CT, DL,
EA, EA6, F, HA, I, LY, LZ, OE, OH, OK, ON, OZ, PA, S5, SP, SV, YO, & ZB.
From the 18:00Z contest start time until after 23:00Z, a number of new grids
were added as 31 DX stations were logged. 6 Meters remained open with Es
propagation lasting past my 04:30Z sleep time.

When I woke at 5AM, I told Alexa to remotely turn on the 6M SSPA in the shack.
With the VNC app on the Android phone, while I got ready for church and had some
tea, I worked 6 new grids on meteor scatter using MSK144. When I returned from
church, I started to work FT8 remotely from the kitchen computer as I prepared
and ate breakfast.  I found a few new DX grids as an XE and CO stations were
worked.

On Sunday, only 9 DX stations were worked, all on this side of the Atlantic. A
total of 17 DX countries were worked during the contest including; 9Y, CO, CU,
EA6, EA8, EI, F, G, GI, GM, LA, PY, PZ, S0, VP9 and XE  plus a number  of VE
stations. The contest surprise was working S0WS in Southern Sudan.

With 6 Meters so hot, I didn’t get on 2 Meters until after 1700Z Sunday where
all the action seemed to be on FT8.  Once I configured N1MM Logger+ and WSJT-X,
logging the digital QSOs went well. I just had to remember to shut down WSJT-X
before logging CW or SSB QSOs, then type “FT8” to have N1MM restart WSJT-X.

Very little 6 Meter FT4 was noticed until Sunday around 01Z when things got hot.
Of the 92 FT4 contacts made, 45 were made between 01 and 02Z with another 20 FT4
QSOs made in the following hour.

I missed the big JA opening to the Mid-Atlantic area but doubt if I could have
copied any because of a severe power line noise from 21 through 144 MHz at 330
degrees, my beam heading for Japan.  .

It was a fun weekend, with plenty of good 50 MHz propagation for trans-Atlantic
and intercontinental VHF contest QSOs.  31 different DX countries were worked
from Saturday morning through Sunday evening, not bad for a VHF band.

73,
Rich – K1HTV