[3830] ARRL June VHF W2HRY/R Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W2HRY/R Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2020 02:42:57 +0000

-------------------
Total:  311    42  Total Score = 24,192

Club:

Comments:

W2HRY/R Logs
Grid QSOs Grid QSOs Grid QSOs
FN13  98  EN91   2  FN02 101
EN92   2  FN12  54  FN03 54

RoverLog Score Summary, Using new rules:
Band  QSOs Value  QSOPts    Mults
50     70   1      70         16
144    55   1      55          4
222    53   2     106          4
432    54   2     108          4
902    39   3     117          4
1.2G   40   3     120          4
Grids activated: 6
Totals:
       311        576         42

Claimed Score: 24192

I will be submitting tomorrow for: The Ontario VHF Association

The Story:
Tried something a little new this time. I decided I was going to head to EN91
and EN92 to activate those grids. No one had ever shared their experiences in
traveling there so I figured I would check it myself.
Since the contest started at 2pm I left The Rochester Area about 10 am. I
arrived early and deployed, first in EN92, at beautiful Presque Isle State Part
Right on edge of the water. What proceeded was 3 hours of emptiness, with just 2
QSO's, then just over the PA/OH Border into EN91, for another 2 QSO's for a
grand total of 4 QSO's in about 6 hours of operating. Unfortunately I decided I
wanted to be home at a reasonable hour and it looks I totally missed the 6M
opening that seemed to start on Saturday at about 7 or 8 pm. I left the are
frustrated. The frustration was compounded by me jumping on FT8 before I left
the area to see what was going on and saw numerous folks in the surrounding
grids all playing FT8, but not calling CQ on SSB. At that point in time I
decided how much I really don't like FT8. It took me over 3.5 hours to drive
home. You could have bought all my VHF Rover set up for $100 at that point.
Sunday was much better at my first stop with more QSO's in first 5 minutes of
operating than I had the whole day before.