[3830] ARRL FD W2IRT 1E LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, contesting@w2irt.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W2IRT 1E LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 19:16:59 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Best FD entry ever!

It started off shaky. Storms in the area caused me to miss the first hour, and
when they passed through the QRN was extreme for most of the afternoon and into
early evening on all bands. Now I feel for the DXpeditioners to the tropics on
80 and 160!

Once the storms quieted down, though, things *really* took off and rates picked
up substantially. I had originally planned to do about 80% CW and 20% SSB (no
FT8), and had an overall target of 600-750 QSOs.

I had already hit 750 by 2am, when I packed it up for the night!

For the first time ever I was 100% run in CW mode (well, 99.5% or so...I think I
made 3 or 4 S&Ps at first to make sure things were working). I had some
really nice runs, with the two best of 122/hr this morning on 20 and about 88/hr
on 80 Saturday night. That's nothing for great CW ops, but for me, that's
probably the best I ever did. I started out shaky and slow at 22 WPM and a lot
of fills, but was up to 30 comfortably on Sunday morning (after the Baconing).
This proves I need bacon prior to getting in the chair.

By Sunday morning I started off with around 752 or so in the log and was hoping
I'd make it to 1000. I passed that mark around 12:30. Once I hit 500 Qs on 20
(and a few residual callers later), I popped up to 15 and got a nice run going
there.

What WAS interesting was that 40m wasn't anywhere near as productive as I'd have
expected. I had better luck after I dropped to 80 at 10pm, and 20 was alive to
the southwest and midwest until after supper. 80 was noisier, and I have gain on
40, but 40 just didn't cooperate in terms of stations worked, and I'm very
curious why.

All equipment worked 100% reliably. Only minor hitch is the electric start
battery on the generator doesn't seem to hold I charge and I had to pull the
starter rope after supper to get going. Radio, antennas, cables, and computer
were all perfect. This is where the K3s *really* shines, and it was happy to
oblige.

Next up: IARU, then it's time to take a break and clean the shack, fix all the
nagging things that need fixing. CQWW-SSB comes too soon!