[3830] ARRL FD K1LT 1B LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K1LT 1B LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:24:31 +0000

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I operated Field Day from my pole barn again this year.  I had the
same problems or worse as last year but got a much higher score.  If I
had read my 2019 3830 report, I perhaps would have done things a bit
differently, but instead I had to rediscover the issues.

The combination of WSJTX, my Linux laptop, and the K3S is still not
happy on 6-meter FT8.  After some screwing around Saturday afternoon,
I quit trying, so maybe that helped in the long run.

My older K3 still has a problem wherein the main receiver abruptly
loses 20 db of sensitivity and now nothing but time and maybe warmth
restores the sensitivity.  But since I could hear stuff on the second
receiver in diversity mode, I ignored the problem and kept going.
When it quit the first time I though maybe if it stayed broken I could
then find the problem, but no.

Otherwise the weekend was reasonably successful.  The temporary
full-size 40 meter vertical went up quickly because I carefully packed
the radial last year.  The temporary dipole between the house and the
pole in the tree went up quickly because maybe of more careful
planning.

The predicted weekend long heavy rains turned out to be a distant
thunderstorm and some sprinkles.

Started on 40 and had more than 100 QSOs the first hour.  Then went to
20 but virtually no one could hear me.  But 15 had strong signals and
easy pickins and even 10 meters was awake.  After 3 hours of 60 per
hour I went back to 40 until well after dark and then 80 until nap time
at 2am.  It was on 80 when the K3 started playing receiver tricks.

I planned to nap for 4 hours and woke up just before the scheduled
time so my log shows exactly 4 hours off.

Sunday morning I worked my way up the bands.  15 was again very
productive and 10 meters was useful so I ignored 20 until the last 20
minutes.

Missed several W6 and W7 sections and because 20 sucked and the 10 and
15 sporadic E didn't quite go all the way west.  Worked KL7 but not
KH6.  No Caribbean at all except 8P5A on 10 meters.  F6HKA called me
with a strong signal on 15 for my best DX.

If I recall correctly, this is my best showing ever for Field Day,
including all those years operating 2A with the W8LT gang.

Worked many MRRCers but did not hear W3USA or K8ND.

Score making equipment: Elecraft K3 and P3, Samlex power supply with
tight connections, old laptop with the one true serial port, old IBM
Model M keyboard, old Acer LCD monitor (makes big characters but no
herring-bones this year), Johnson Viking KW Matchbox, 80-meter dipole,
40 meter vertical.

Distraction equipment: Elecraft K3S and P3, less old laptop, very
heavy Astron 35A power supply, 3-element 6-meter beam.

I should qualify for the 100% emergency power, W1AW bulletin, and web
submission bonuses (250 points) which is included in the 3830 post.