[3830] ARRL FD KB4KBS 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kb4kbs@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD KB4KBS 1D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 16:15:33 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  180     15     293  Total Score = 961

Club: NORTH FULTON AMATEUR RADIO LEAGUE

Comments:

[log removed from comments]

I set out to prove to myself that FT8 is a contest mode.  My nearly 300 contacts
would be a good addition to MIXED MODE M/M effort, but for a single effort in a
MIXED MODE contest, CW yields more QSOs per hour than FT8.  I didn't ever get
over to FT4 for any length of time; you have to fish where the fish are biting,
and that was FT8. I really think if the Field Day rules only allowed FT4 only,
as faster contact mode, it would rival RTTY or even CW with a Qs per Hr rate
possibility.

--------------------

I used N3FJP Field Day Contest Logger (FDCL) software.  For a PH station, a
S&P CW station, and a Digital station (with a S/W interface to
WSJT-X/JTAlert - see below) it was fine.  It has some issue with multi-screen
usage where the main entry screen is not on the main screen.  Once I figured
this out, all was well. It gave me an audible "duplicate" message that
was sent to the SignaLink USB audio out to my radio (which probably was
broadcast).  I never found a way to turn this off.  In CW mode the software
worked fine with my MORTTY WinKeyer Lite substitute.

--------------------

I used WSJT-X v.2.2.2.  It seemed to be fine then without warning it would
close.  When it was reopened, it would revert to a default saved setting,
usually on a different band than where I was.  This happened countless times.

--------------------

I used JTAlert v.2.16.8.  It was configured correctly as the go-between for
WSJT-X and N3FJP FDCL as best I could tell but I had a regular issue with every
QSO:  The QSO would be logged but JTAlert would give me a warning that it
wasn't.  This may be due to a pilot error in configuration, but I just ignored
it and kept going.

--------------------

I had only a few problems with the rig, antenna and tuning.  I did have times
where RF got into the USB hub and I had to do a full reboot - sometimes after a
BSOD.  I learned to do low power tuning with a band change - especially to 20M,
and avoided this issue as the contest went along.

--------------------

wasn't going to be a contender for any awards so I set out with some objectives
- to work 24 hours, to use FT8 extensively, and to use N3FJP. Now that I have
done all of these things, I can check them off my list and move on.

Station:
Yaesu FT-450D
100W
MFJ-939 Tuner
SignaLink USB External Sound Card
MORTTY Electronic Keyer
Bencher BY-2 Iambic Paddles

G5RV Dipole Antenna @ 9M AGL
Indoor Attic Home-made 6M Full-wave loop

N3FJP FDCL v.6.3 Contesting Software
WSJT-X v.2.2.2
JTAlert v.2.16.8