[3830] IARU KJ5T SOABMixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve@kj5t.net
Subject: [3830] IARU KJ5T SOABMixed QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 03:41:19 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: KJ5T
Operator(s): KJ5T
Station: KJ5T

Class: SOABMixed QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   5      2      2
   15:   1             1
   10:
-------------------------------------
Total:   6      2      3        0  Total Score = 72

Club:

Comments:

This was my first time in IARU HF since 2016, in 2016 I did QRP phone and worked
7 stations in 2 hours.  I had commented in my soapbox that year that I would
have more fun if my CW was contest ready.  I wouldn't say I am 100% contest
ready but I can tell you that this same wire on the balcony and KX2 performed
better in 2016 than it did today.

The 10 hours encompasses the entire time I was near the radio but mostly as I
tuned across the bands I wasn't really pulling any stations out.  This is the
same wire on the balcony set-up that I used during CQWPX CW but conditions just
weren't good enough for a sub-par antenna set-up.

It was 10 hours of hearing parts of callsigns, when I did pull someone out
sending my call many times before they would fade away again without hearing me.
 I heard W1AW/4 on both phone and CW but they just couldn't get me.

It was extremely rough, for those that did pull me out I greatly appreciate it,
especially the two on phone!  40 is really hit or miss here on the noise floor
and tonight it was high.

In the end, I need real antennas, better ears, and more focus to really contest
but also glad to get on a log a few familiar callsigns.  Calling it quits early
and going to go watch a movie with my wife.