[3830] IARU K8CN SOABCW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K8CN SOABCW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 13:44:13 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOABCW QRP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    2             1       1
   80:   17             3       2
   40:  135            11      18
   20:  161            16      12
   15:   49             7       5
   10:   22             3       2
-------------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had high hopes after hearing EU on 10 meters early Saturday, but the
propagation on the high bands was just at the threshold of reliable decoding for
QRP.  I heard plenty of relatively strong EU stations, but couldn't get their
attention with my pipsqueak signal.  Thanks to all the stations that worked very
hard to pull me through - you're the best!

My operating times this year pretty much coincided with last year's BIC times
with a long break beginning around 1900 UTC and resuming around 0000 UTC.  I
have to remind myself each year that summertime propagation for IARU HF is
different from that of the fall/winter contest seasons, and brace myself for
slow times.  Beginning around 1800 UTC, nobody hears me and the rate drops below
any reasonable level.  After doing myriad chores, making dinner for the XYL, and
walking the dog, I was ready to move to 40 meters where the propagation to EU
enabled good rates through 0400 UTC.  I have yet to figure out the best
operating times for this QRP station with a single modest wire antenna, but
given the consistency of operating times last year and this year, I think I've
found it experimentally.

Fell down in total Qs and score as well as BIC time relative to last year's
effort, but I did what propagation would allow.

Many thanks for the Qs and 73,
Mike, K8CN

Rig: K3/10 at 5 watts to Lazy H (cut for 20 meters, sagging badly)