[3830] IARU W6YX(N7MH) SOABMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W6YX(N7MH) SOABMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 20:39:48 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOABMixed HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    27     0      4       1
   80:   159     0     14       3
   40:   606     8     25      24
   20:  1041   410     35      39
   15:   458     2     19      15
   10:    54     0      4       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  2345   420    101      82  Total Score = 1,603,263

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Events conspired to prevent setting up for the contest on Thursday or Friday
evening as I'd originally planned. When I arrived at the shack a half hour
before the contest start I was able to get almost everything set up with 5
minutes to spare and then discovered that I had high SWR on one of the two SO2R
positions. Problem was found to be a faulty bandpass filter that I worked around
for the rest of the contest. With no time left I started up at 1200Z and didn't
complete the final items on my checklist - rotating the antennas and loading an
updated HQ prefill. I remembered to rotate the 40m Yagi about 15 minutes into
the contest when I began to realize that most of my Qs on 40 were US instead of
the 5-point Asians that I was expecting.

I'd chosen to focus on rate, using 2BSIQ on CW, with occasional S&P forays
on one radio to find new HQ and zone mults, and rare attempts at running on
SSB.

The best 60 minute rate was 205/hour from 1253 to 1352
The best 30 minute rate was 228/hour from 1310 to 1339
The best 10 minute rate was 252/hour from 1708 to 1717

My best clock hour was 200 Qs in the 1300 hour with 79 Qs on 40 CW and 121 Qs on
20 CW. The best 10 minute rate was running on 20 SSB, mostly 3 pointers.

I made one second-radio Q (on CW) while running on SSB. With SSB rates at 150+
per hour (while they lasted) it was hard to do anything with the second radio.
On the other hand, you really need to get spotted on SSB to get a decent run
going.

I had prepared a plan for band changes including multiple checks on bands like
160, 15 and 10 but my workaround for the failed bandpass filter caused me to
miss some of these opportunities. Also it was difficult to tear myself away from
a good run on another band. Failing to revisit 15 in the evening to pick up more
Asian/Pacific mults and HQ stations was a big oversight.

Working zone mults and HQ stations was tough from the US West Coast. K6XX, K7RL
and I had similar lack of success in working HQ stations. ND7K (N6MJ) lists
several EU HQ mults on 10 in his CBS report and I assume that NO6T (KI6RRN) also
worked some of these. I didn't hear any EU on 10 in several visits.

This was a fun contest as there was almost always a good rate to be had. Thanks
to all for the Qs.

73,
-Mike, N7MH