[3830] NAQP CW AA4LR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AA4LR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:49:44 +0000

Total:  250    92  Total Score = 23,000

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Antennas:
A3S/A743 at 15m high
160/80/75m shut-fed tower

Equipment:
Elecraft K3+KSYN3A with KAT3 running 100 watts

Comments:

First thing to note is that the A3S/A743 is not working right and is in need of
repair. I've got the gin pole on the tower, just looking for a few days up in
Gwinnett where I can do the necessary tower work. I noticed just before the
contest that one of the 15m traps on the director has an end cap that's
displaced. Antenna has been up there for about 19 years, so it is not surprising
maintenance is needed.

Turned out I was going to be at the Gwinnett QTH at the last minute, so decided
to give the contest a whirl. Not a serious operation. One thing is -- I'm out of
practice. First 15 or so minutes I found it hard to focus.

I took a couple of hours off around 0000z to have dinner with my family.
Probably not the best for the score.

KF0UR was loud on 10m right at the start -- and the only station I heard there.
I think 10m was open for a couple of hours, but I don't think anyone was
transmitting, or maybe it was just a spotlight on Colorado.

15m was slim pickings as well. 20m offered a variety of propagation. 40m was
quite dependable, although a missed a couple of prime hours there. I hit 160m
early and delighted to pick up some Qs and needed mults. The shunt was very
effective there, and did pretty well on 80m.

Hard week left me very tired so I switched off just after 0300z. Lots of fun
handing out some Qs.