[3830] NAQP CW N1LN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bemeier@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N1LN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 14:02:41 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:  136    32
   80:  185    45
   40:  331    45
   20:  268    44
   15:   73    21
   10:
-------------------
Total:  993   187  Total Score = 185,691

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC North Carolina East

Comments:

This is the first time I actually was pleased - after the fact - to be shut down
by an thunder and lightening storm.  Early on, I was less than pleased with
conditions, so when the very loud clap of thunder hit I decided to shut down.
This was about 2100 UTC. There were several more loud claps but the storm never
came, even though weather radar first showed it heading at me.  By 2115 all was
quiet, but as the conditions were bad I decided to make it an official half hour
break.

Great news! During that short 30 minute break 20 meters totally changed from my
QTH.  The rates were now up and finally looking pretty good.  The rest of the
contest was enjoyable. Yes, there was some QRN but my two sets of beverages and
the K3s came through again. I ran diversity using the long and short beverages
on 40 and 80 with ATT on and the RF gain set back. My peak rate on 40 was close
to 250. For 160 I only ran the long set and gave my direction switch a real work
out.  Sorry to ask for all the repeats, but if I did not get to the correct
beverage fast enough the complete call would not get in the log. The beverages
are VERY direction.  Both good and bad news.

I was also pleasantly surprised with the level of activity on 160.  My peak rate
there was just over 200 per hour, although it did not last long.  It did stay
above 120 for almost a full hour.

Finished out the 10 hours with SP on 80. Running just did not turn in the rate
as fast as SP. There were so many strong signals calling CQ that it was easy to
turn the VFO, copy the call and hit ENTER. Thanks to N1MM for not working dupes
on SP and again the two sets of beverages and K3 diversity. I could not believe
the SP rate that I was able to maintain for the final 45 minutes.  It kind of
shut down radio 2 activity, but that was OK.

I do have one complaint and it is the same one that I seem to always bring up.
In this day of modern rigs why do stations still have CLICKS? There were only
two that really stood out. One was a K1 and the other a W4 and they were wide.
Both moved in on my RUN frequency and when told about their CLICKS.... well, I
am sure you have been there. They just kept on calling CQ and did not QSY even
1hz.

Thanks to all that participated that made the 10 hours pass quickly. Another fun
NAQP CW.

73,
Bruce N1LN