[3830] NAQP CW K2IW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K2IW Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 03:12:42 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K2IW
Operator(s): K2IW
Station: K2IW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN32
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   12     9
   80:  119    38
   40:  140    36
   20:  128    42
   15:    1     1
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  400   126  Total Score = 50,400

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Another contest run from friends house. Usual setup of 590sg with ALS-606 amp.
If I read the rules more carefully instead of assuming Id have not have used QRO
power, Id have liked not to have been a checklog in this contest. Contest seems
to be more about run rates and mult filling across multiple bands than power.
Antennas were the usual, fan dipole covering 80/40/30/20/10 horizontal up 80ft,
a inverted V fan dipole covering 80(loaded)/40/20/10 up about 60ft, and a new
addition, a permanent quarter wave 80m vert with 4 full sized radials. A
vertical antenna with radials that I can leave up throughout the summer, the
vert itself and its radials are in the woods that are not mowed, allowing me to
not have to tear up the radials after the contest like I do with my big 160m
inverted L setup in the winter. While not particularly useful for this contest,
the inverted V being more useful for the up close and medium range stations that
were weak on the horizontal fan, it did help make some West Coast stations on
80. Where it excelled at was receiving EU stations running EU HF Championship
which was what I was really hoping for. Looking forward to leveraging that in
the future where I may not necessarily want to setup the 160m inverted L's 2k ft
worth of radials for a 24 hour contest.

10m was open during the first hour or so of the contest, but I was busy going up
and down 20m CW S&P and by the time I bothered to check 10 it was a ghost
town and 15 only had a few S0-S3 stations that didn't hear me. 20m was lacking,
end of the summer plus sporadic Es, added to the QRM from EU HF Championship
made it a mess. I was never really able to get a run going on 20m. 40 was steady
and I had plenty of runs, but 80m was really solid and where it was at later in
the evening. 160m was also really active, but without a proper 160m antenna I
only S&P'ed a few times to get some mults. Favorite qso of the contest was
with a guy in DC, first none club dude Ive worked in DC. Was surprised DC was
even considered a mult in this contest.

Overall a fun contest. Looking forward to trying to beat my score in January.
This time I wont run QRO though :).