[3830] WAE CW PJ4A(NN3W) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, RICHNN3W@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW PJ4A(NN3W) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 03:29:34 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: PJ4A
Operator(s): NN3W
Station: PJ4NG

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Bonaire
Operating Time (hrs): 35
Remote Operation

   80:  150         152
   40:  470         126
   20:  697          96
   15:  236          78
   10:   64          40
-------------------------
Total: 1626  1607   492  Total Score = 1,590,636

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Many thanks to WW4LL, K2NG, and NN9DD for making this possible.  This trio spent
a lot of time on the phone, in conference calls, on the computer to make this
work.  Could not have been done without them.

With N3HBX being history, I was thinking about doing a domestic remote operation
for WAE CW.   I had many options and was close to committing to one.  BUT, duing
a coffee meeting with KL2A and W0CG in Couer d'Alene, Idaho, the existence of
PJ4NG was mentioned.  Decided to investigate and this is what we have.  Hard to
pass up being DX for a weekend.  I'd prefer to do it on site with Amstel in
hand, but this is the world we live in.

First 26 hours were low power as a fault in the linear made it impossible to
operate high power.  The issue was resolved by Sunday morning, and I wound up
being a cautious (800 watts) QRO for the balance of the contest.  Owing to
issues at the remote station, switching between the high bands and the low bands
is currently a manual affair.  You operate 40/80 at night and switch to 10/15/20
in the morning/afternoon.  No going back.

Regardless, for my 1) first time operating outside the USA, 2) first time
operating remote, 3) first time operating a major contest in a serious fashion
from "home", and 4) first time fighting a significant failure which
was resolved, I'm pleased with the score.  Can only imagine what 36 hours of QRO
would have meant.