[3830] OhQP AF8A Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, af8a@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] OhQP AF8A Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 19:34:24 +0000
                    Ohio QSO Party - 2020

Call: AF8A
Operator(s): AF8A
Station: AF8A

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Oh, GEAU
Operating Time (hrs): 11

   80:  345
   40:  211
   20:   50
   15:    0
   10:    0
--------------------
Total:  606     0  CW Mults = 100  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 121,200

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Wow, this year exceeded all expectations.  It was one of those rare contests
where I could CQ ad infinitum.  Clicking on spots filled those times when CQs
stopped producing.  CW kept me fully occupied,  though I had a mic with me if
things got desperate.

Great activity, brought on by who-knows-what.  SF=70 (woo hoo!)?  COVID 19
lockdown?  W8CAR whippage?  The 2020 State QSO Party Challenge?  Probably a
combination of all.  Example:  I made a string of 17 Qs after my first CQ at
1600.  The first hour was good for 91Qs.

Better yet, I was in quasi-Field Day conditions, with a temporary 40/80 trapped
dipole (40 feet high at the center), and a less than ideal rig (IC-706MKIIG,
K8MFO’s old county expedition rig, which keeps going and going…).  An LDG
tuner tamed the SWR on 20m.

K8MR should consider asking Everyready Battery to sponsor him…as the Energizer
Mobile (though he would look rather odd in a pink furry costume, but perhaps
that would qualify him for yet another NCJ cover photo).  16 Qs and 13 mults -
tnx Jim!    Next best were the ten stations who were good for 3 Qs, so K8MR was
truly in a multiplier class by himself.

K8RYU called in a for a few wobbly QSOs from his Omni V. Glad to get those mults
as well.  Having Uli, ZR2A/4, come back to my early evening 40 meter CQ from
South Africa was a thrill.

Mult stats:  45 states (missed ND, WY, UT, AK, HI), 4 provinces, 51 Ohio
counties.

I didn’t realize it at the time, but bio breaks and meals added up to 62
minutes, so actual on-time was 11 hours.  Guess I better learn to eat (and do
other important things) while operating CW, as others have demonstrated in the
past.

Tnx QSOs, everyone!