[3830] WWDigi N1SNB SOSB160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WWDigi N1SNB SOSB160 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 14:33:19 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2020

Call: N1SNB
Operator(s): N1SNB
Station: N1SNB

Class: SOSB160 HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 17

  160:
   80:
   40:  110    36
   20:  101    33
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  211    69  Total Score = 44,220

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I really have mixed feelings about this contest.

I had high hopes, I'd have fun - and, well, I really didn't manage the fun part
of it.

Let me preface what I'm about to say with a thank you to the organizers. I know
this is only the second running and a lot of work goes into putting these events
on.  I know a lot of thought goes into the rules too.  Also a thank you to
everyone that I worked and that participated.

211 QSOs for 17 hours of work on an FT mode isn't very satisfying.  Outside of a
contest, my normal hourly rate on FT was twice what it was in this contest.  For
sure, conditions sucked on 20m and I had some brief, quick runs on 40m on FT4
that were good.

But I would have made a better "score" if the exchange was the normal
FT exchange on the regular frequencies and I'd have made nearly twice the QSOs.
The contest needs to live up to being more exciting than regular operation on an
FT mode and to me that's a problem that it didn't.

As a small station with small antennas,  the beauty of the big contests is that
they live up to their billing as being way more interesting than day to day to
operation - as such, even if we're not going to win we enjoy participating.

In general, I feel like the rules for this contest were written for contesters
by contesters vs written with an eye to making this fun to the legions that run
FT8 every day.  Maybe the exchange needs to be the everyday exchange on FT8
otherwise this event will just be the same 1000 contesters talking to each other
but on a different mode.  Maybe the contest needs to be 48 hours long to give
casual participants enough time to figure out whats going on and plane a few
hours...I don't have the answers just a few ideas.

73 jeff n1snb

IC7300
400w
43' Vertical