[3830] WWDigi KH6CJJ SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WWDigi KH6CJJ SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 23:27:32 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2020

Call: KH6CJJ
Operator(s): KH6CJJ
Station: KH6CJJ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Maui, Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 19

  160:    7     3
   80:   45    15
   40:  108    23
   20:  206    37
   15:   89    24
   10:
-------------------
Total:  455   102  Total Score = 131,172

Club: Maui Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

My first attempt at a digital contest and it was a lot of fun.  Except for a
little testing, my only experience with FT8/FT4 previously had been on 6 meters,
so this was quite a change.  The contest started at 0200 Hawaiian time, but I
didn’t get up and started until 0400.  I was very disappointed at how few
stations I heard when I started.  I figured out later that I didn’t understand
about the various bands and sub-bands, even though I had read about them in the
rules.  I never heard (saw) anything on some of them, but heard a lot on others
that were not published…learn by doing!  Once I started to understand how
things worked, there was almost always someone to work on some band.  This was
very different from my normal low power contesting from Hawaii when there are
periods when I can’t work anything.

The other new thing I experienced, was the problem with deciding whether or not
to log an exchange.  I had read about it in W0YK’s columns in the National
Contest Journal, but was unprepared for how big a problem it was for me.  I used
the WSJT-X embedded in N1MM.  Whenever there was a “RR73” or “73”, the
contact would be logged.  However, I would often force a “RR73” or “73”
to see if I could get a response other than the initial call from the other
station.  When I got no response, I had to delete the contact from the log.  I
probably had this situation 50 to 100 times.  I hope I did not create too many
“NILs” for what might have been good contacts.  This was a big problem for
me and source of exasperation throughout the contest.

Conditions were poor.  10 was absolutely dead and 15 was marginal.  A couple of
weeks ago, during the WAE contest, I had managed to work over 150 EU stations on
SSB, even with low power from Hawaii.  During this entire contest, I only heard
one EU station (9A1A) and was unable to work it.  On the low bands, I did
relatively well for me, but I think it was the “power” of FT8/FT4 rather
than good conditions.  I look forward to better next year!

I used FT4 whenever there were stations to be worked and preferred its speed.
However, there were always FT8 contacts to be had.  Thanks for all the Q's!

       Band Mode  QSOs  Pts   Mlt  Pt/Q
       1.8  FT8     7    13     3   1.9
       3.5  FT4     3     6     3   2.0
       3.5  FT8    42   118    12   2.8