[3830] TnQP W4AN Multi-Op MobileCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4bai@att.net
Subject: [3830] TnQP W4AN Multi-Op MobileCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 21:45:28 +0000
                    Tennessee QSO Party - 2020

Call: W4AN
Operator(s): W4AN
Station: W4AN

Class: Multi-Op MobileCW LP
QTH: 13 TN Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:
   80:   42
   40:  661
   20:  123
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
-----------------------------------
Total:  826     0       0      0  Total Score = 244,388

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Jeff, KU8E, and I were privileged to travel to Tennessee for the annual TN QSO
Party.  Jeff had made a lot of good improvements since our mobile runs in GA,
FL, AL, and TN QSO parties last year.  We had missed being mobile in FL and GA
QSO Parties this year due to the restrictions imposed due to the Covid-18 virus.
We were able to operate with N4BP in FL QSO Party as N4B doing CW remotely.
Jeff had set an ambitious schedule for many counties in east TN.  Overall, the
improvements were very successful, but we lost some time due to failure to bring
one adapter that we had to buy at Lowe's before leaving HAMI.  We soon lost
computer frequency control apparently due to some RFI.  So, we had to manually
set the frequency when we changed bands and that was generally no problem.
Then, we lost some time when the computer battery ran down.  It had not been
charging due to a loose connection in the circuit that was connecting it to
power in the car.  Later on, we lost a few minutes when a warning light came on
the dash of my Toyota Avalon. We couldn't figure out what the problem was and
made a phone call to my son who has a Toyota.  Eventually, Jeff suggested that I
turn off the car and turn it on again and when I did that, the warning light
went away and didn't return.  Last year, RFI apparently got into the computer in
the car and the cruise control went out.  It came back a few days after each
contest.  Jeff's superior grounding this year cured that and cruise control
worked for the whole contest.  We got behind and only got to 13 of our counties,
a couple of them twice. We were delighted to give Rusty, W6OAT, my high school
buddy a new all time TN county, COCKe County.  Nice to work OM2VL, DL3DXX,
DL8USA, SM6TKG and a lot of west coast stations.  I think we worked all states
except HI, AK, ID, WY, and ND plus VE2 and VE3.  We had a lot of power line
noise in some areas making us glad we didn't live in those locations.  Sorry for
any we missed and hope to work you all in the AL QSO Party next weekend, part
time as W4AN/M.  We will return home in time to work the NA Sprint CW contest
Saturday night.  QSLs go via K4BAI and I can send DX QSLs via the bureau in
response to an e-mail request.  Congrats to the other TN mobiles and fixed
stations who made this a very successful QSO party.  73, John, K4BAI.