[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K3DNE Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3dne@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K3DNE Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 03:36:19 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  117    61  Total Score = 7,137

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

What a difference compared to the June VHF contest! Yikes, that was tough. No
openings that I found. Only 3 QSO's on SSB. 1 on CW. I really believe vhf+
contests need a rule change to incentivize the use of ssb and cw.
All the rest was digital. FT8 is slow but that's where the activity was. MSK144
meteor scatter was much more exciting (on 6m, no 2m MSK144 contacts made). I
must have zapped the gamma match input connector on my ancient 3 element 6m beam
when running QRO on Sunday evening because swr went from 1.2:1 to 3.5:1.
Fortunately the Quadra amp detects that and reduced power. I stopped operating
on 6m after that happened and focused on 2m. The IC746 was only getting 50w
output on 2m so I dug out an old solid state TE Systems amp (160w) and used that
for the last 4 hours on 2m. It didn't make much of a difference, things were
just slow.

Band Mode      QSOs Pts Grd Pt/Q
50      FT8    63       63    25  1.0
50     MSK1    14       14    12  1.0
50      USB    1         1     0  1.0
144    CW      1         1     1  1.0
144    FT8    36        36    23  1.0
144    USB     2         2     0  1.0

Total        117    117   61      1.0
Score: 7,137
1 Mult = 1.9 Q's

73,
Ed K3DNE

6m: IC746 + Yaesu Quadra amp, modified Cushcraft 3 element yagi at 27ft.
2m: IC746 + TE Systemes amp 160w, M squared 7 element yagi at 24ft.
Both with long (220ft) runs of 1/2" heliax.